Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7U32bit To 64Bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JRockZ

JRockZ

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

Im sure this has been asked before im just not sure the proper keywords to search for it. I Bought my girlfriend a little Emachines E1200 1.6Ghz single core 2Gb Dual channel ram bla bla bla Not a bad little system so far and its already paid for itself (it was only 149 bucks). Whne i first got it it had Vista basic on it, i played with that for a day or two but then upgraded to W7 Ultimate 32bit and shes just chugging along perfectly!!! i have an option to pick up W7U 64bit for a fair price so i was wondering if it would even make a diffrence and if so would there be any performance gains at all? Id guess im prob best off leaving things how they are but if i can gain anything then i may just do it.
JRkZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

Oh hell....yeah, you'll see a performance difference! In the wrong direction!! :huh:

The only reason to have a 64-bit system is to utilize more RAM (32-bit can only use up to 4GB).

With a processor that slow and RAM that low, it would most certainly slow to a crawl if you put 64-bit Windows on there (regardless of version or edition). Heck, I would almost guarantee the processor can't even run a 64-bit OS (a single core Celeron? not likely). So that's a big "NO".

Leave the 32-bit, and keep enjoying it!!

Cheers! :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 March 2010 - 11:54 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 JRockZ

JRockZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

Oh hell....yeah, you'll see a performance difference! In the wrong direction!! :huh:

The only reason to have a 64-bit system is to utilize more RAM (32-bit can only use up to 4GB).

With a processor that slow and RAM that low, it would most certainly slow to a crawl if you put 64-bit Windows on there (regardless of version or edition). Heck, I would almost guarantee the processor can't even run a 64-bit OS (a single core Celeron? not likely). So that's a big "NO".

Leave the 32-bit, and keep enjoying it!!

Cheers! :huh:

Its not a celeron its a single core Athlon, but yeah i get what you mean and i was planning to eventually go with a dual core processor and upgrade to 4gb ram but i guess till i do that its not going to help any to go woth the 64 bit install. Thanks for your opinion
JRkZ

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

There's no point using 64 bit Windows on a system with 2GB of RAM, as the big advantage of 64 bit is gaining access to more than 4GB. 32 bit software is run on 64 bit Windows by means of an extra subsystem called WOW64 (Windows on Windows64), so on a sub-4GB system it just ends up using more memory and a more complicated way to do the same thing.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

What do you use this computer for?

#6 Travito

Travito

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

I agree with the previous posters. A machine of that caliber should not attempt to run a 64bit OS. Unless you specifically need 64 bit applications to run, (extremely unlikely) or unless you wish to upgrade to 4GB+ of RAM, you should not attempt to switch up to 64 bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users