Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatted Wrong Drive!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 javaman12

javaman12

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

The other day I was installing Windows 7 on my computer. I have 3 hard drives in my computer, and when picking the partition to install to, I wasn't paying attention and accidentally formatted the wrong drive :thumbsup: . I did this through the Windows 7 installation GUI so I assume it was the equivalent of a quick format because it only took a few seconds to prepare my 500 GB drive.

Is there any way I can recover my files? I know they haven't technically been "deleted" and are mostly recoverable, since I didn't write much to the disk after formatting it. But I know it follows a different file structure than XP so I'm not sure if any Un-Delete programs will work. It was formatted as NTFS before my quick format, and after, so that avoids a major problem.

What can I do? I'd feel terrible if I can't recover my files. That was essentially my storage drive where I kept all my pictures/music etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Try this:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 javaman12

javaman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll try that out and get back to you with the results

#4 javaman12

javaman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

so the scan finished and i see some file names in the list, but for the most part the files are named with numbers followed by the extension. Is there any way to get the original files back and the folder structure?

Edit - I ran this program through Win XP. I also have Windows 7 installed on a separate drive (not the one i accidentally formatted). If I run this program under Windows 7, will it get me the folder structure back? I'm wondering because I formatted this through the Windows 7 installation, and it proceeded to install files to that drive.

Edited by javaman12, 02 March 2010 - 12:38 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

You might try a different data-recovery utility...I don't know about running any from Windows 7 (I haven't had to try that yet).

These utilities vary a bit in their capabilities, so my experience is to try a couple of them when trying to reclaim data files...until you find one that either works or they all yield the same net result.

The utility that I have confidence in is a paid one. Since most users seem to want a free answer, I usually don't suggest it.

Louis

#6 javaman12

javaman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

hamluis, if the program you use would work for me, I wouldn't mind paying for it. What's the name of the app?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Note: I'm not saying that it will, it's only an attempt to recover data.

GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Note that the above is for NTFS formatted partitions...there is an alternate program required for FAT partitions. Please read all instuctions before doing anything. Run the trial version first, just to see if it can see the files you want to recover.

Louis

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

Here's another free one:

http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users