Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR Backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MReyes23

MReyes23

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

I currently have an ongoing issue open in the Malware forum for what appears to be a pretty nasty MBR infection. As I continue to work with the assigned bleepingcomputer resource to resolve this issue, I have noticed a number of posts popping up with all of the same or similar issues.

My particular issue is actually a friend's machine, but this wave of MBR infection certainly has me on notice. Since there does not seem to be an absolute method of avoiding, preventing or detecting an MBR infection is there a way for me to periodically backup my MBR? Should I ever get infected, I would much rather replace my MBR instead of running numerous applications and posting various logs.

If it helps, I am a Windows Vista - Home Premium user (not by choice). Also, I am by no means an expert, but I certainly know my way around a PC. I can and will take on the task of attempting to backup my MBR unassisted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Dont make any changes, and let the malware team help you out.

#3 MReyes23

MReyes23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

I may not have been clear, the issue is with a friend's Windows XP machine; however, my Windows Vista - Home Premium machine is fine and fully operational. I am just looking to take some preventative measures to help ensure what has happened to his PC, does not happen to my machine.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

You really cannot backup the MBR

#5 MReyes23

MReyes23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

I knew it was a long shot, but thanks.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

5 Free Tools to Backup and Restore Master Boot Record (MBR): http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/1...oot-record-mbr/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:45 AM

Why not use Windows Vista or 7 DVD to restore MBR ? You need a file bootsect.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users