Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan making loud noises - Acer Travelmate 6291

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flyingduck15

flyingduck15

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi everyone,

A few days ago my fan began to suddenly act up.. it makes this weird buzzing noise while it spins. I would clean the fan, but the problem is I'm unsure on how to disassemble it and how to clean the fan properly.

First I tried unscrewing the bottom part, but I couldn't get the casing off. Then I tried from the top and semi de-attached the keyboard (I don't know how to take off the cable connecting to the keyboard), which allowed me some access to the fan. I tried cleaning it with makeshift earbuds and an air can compressor but I haven't thoroughly cleaned it yet.

After my partial cleaning process the fan sound became noticeably more quiet, but then it became louder again.

So my questions are:

1. Have any of you had similar problems with Acer Travelmate 6291 fans, and if yes, how did you solve it? Was cleaning the fan sufficient or do I need a new fan or is the problem not the dust building up but something else entirely?

2. Anyone can explain to me in clear steps on how to clean an Acer Travelmate 6291 fan? Tried looking for service manuals but so far I haven't found any..

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

Plain and simple your fan is due for replacement.

Taking a laptop apart is not advisable unless you really know what your are doing (seriously)

I want to give you the best advice I can and asking you to do the repair yourself is NOT one of them.

Take it to a repair shop, the money you spend, will be worth the trouble you save yourself.

Laptop computers are put together with many small screws and hard to replug ribbon wires, many times inexperienced people do more damage then good attempting this proceedure.

My advice to anyone is to take apart an old laptop that does not work, for the experience of how the proceedure is done.

Add-in) I just want to say, it takes one slight wrong move to destroy a connector or crack the flat ribbon wires (those are unrepairable once they develope a crack) Solder won't adhire to the traces in ribbon wires, so they are basically permanently damaged.

Dissasembling a laptop takes a lot of experience and patience and theres too much room for risk of damage.

Sorry I ranted like this, but I think my advice is your best bet, if you intend on this laptop being usable after the repair.

I do repair laptops, most were damaged by inexperienced people attempting their own internal repairs which requires removing the main cover and several modular circuit boards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 March 2010 - 09:54 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 flyingduck15

flyingduck15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. I definitely will not try to disassemble the laptop myself then. :thumbsup: Fortunately I had enough sense to not remove any circuit boards when I tried disassembling my laptop.

Question though, I badly need my laptop for a couple of days. Will using it normally make my laptop/fan condition worse? Also, I think I am able to semi de-attach the keyboard, as in taking off the keyboard so I can see the fan without plugging off its cable. I am able to do partial cleaning of the fan, will this help the sounds or at least decrease/delay the damage?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users