Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You tube taking all the bandwidth from games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bourkie

bourkie

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi, I got 2 computers in a network, 1 on win7 64 wired to a netgear wndr3700 router, and a 2nd running win xp 32 connected via wireless to the router. The problem I'm having is I play games like aa3 and counter strike on my win 7 computer, but when people start watching youtube on the xp computer it makes it imposable play them.

I tested my internet speed and its 1.32mb/s download and 0.21mb/s upload, and I know the games can run fine with 256/64kb/s connection.

What I want to know is there a way to reserve that little bit of speed to the win7 computer so my games are not effected when someone is on you tube on the other computer, and if possible not effect the max speed to either computer if only 1 is in use?

I tried the internet QoS in the router settings but it didn't help me, even with the games given highest priority you tube still got all the bandwidth.

Any help would be great. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

In a word - No. What you are talking about can't be done without spending some money. I've posted in this thread post #2. That was my suggestion and if you read the OP they are asking the same thing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

Thanks, guess i'l just have to put up with him, or tell him to go on it later lol

#4 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:34 AM

Is there a way i would be able to limit the window xp computer internet speed to 120kb/s, that way no matter what other people do on it my games are not effected?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:11 AM

Is this a room mate type situation or your kid(s) or family member(s) on the XP machine?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 19 March 2010 - 05:12 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Family member that would go out of his way to annoy me by doing it, the videos load twice as quick as they take to watch so I don't see why it needs all the bandwidth, my games only need like 1/6 of the connection, doesn't matter what they do, download, upload, watch videos at other sights, but as soon as you tube is open it makes it imposable to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users