Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Windows XP Pro OEM on a "Hand Built Desktop" PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 charlie j

charlie j

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hi all,
Recently purchased a hand built PC AMD XP 1800 win xp / dvi + usb card 1.5 GHZ win xp 3.0 G Ram. C drive 100 GB;
G drive 300 GB; I drive 300 GB. DVI Video out zip drive, LG super multi drive, SCSI Card + USB Card in Server style case.

When I rec'd this computer from an auction and booted up to explore its contents I discovered the G and I drives were blank, and that the C drive has an illegal copy of Win XP pro installed on it. I got a popup notice while taking the SP3 upgrade online from Microsoft of this "not so kosher" operating system. Got rid of the nag by completing a system retore to an earlier date / time prior to the notice from MS and used a sp3 cd for the upgrade, works fine.
Feeling a little guilty about continuing is this manner and didn't want to toss over $140.00 US dollars to make the OS totally legal on a small 100 GB hard drive.

I find that this new (to me) PC is ideal and would like to keep it as my main / primary desktop. This PC was built by a University educator who taught computers to students. Seems to be a nice custom Gamer hand built server style tower with a large side door window so you can see all the pretty blue lights. I realize that the single core amd win xp 1800 is one of an earlier time and isn't what my new HP Laptop is, but it happens to be my desired "toy" for the time being.

I purchased a new sealed Microsoft Windows XP Pro on EBay to replace the pirate copy for the 100 GB or perhaps switching a master / slave and install it on one of the 300 GB drives. Once the new OS arrived in the mail I noticed it is a OEM 2002 version with SP3 Mfg in 2004.
So my question, is this an easy or difficult OS to install on either the 100 GB with pirate copy or 300 GB thats appears blank? The computer trade is not my strong point I'm a home improvement contractor, although I've completed a good deal of manufactured brand PC re-formats in my days and installed some hardware from time to time I see in this board and elsewhere a good deal of people seem to be having difficulty installing the OEM CD's

Charlie Johnson
Thank you for looking at my post and will accept any and all feedback from members of this awesome board.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

I have various Microsoft OEM/System Builder CDs/licenses.

I've found no difficulty installing any of them, either as a clean install or as a repair install.

My personal feelings about illegal copies of XP...is that they probably contain embedded malware, but that's just a personal feeling.

In any case...it's probably better to do a clean install (after deleting any partitions that currently exist) on a system that is not purchased new, IMO. I see no point in continually taking out someone else's trash, when I can just start out clean.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users