Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win xp pro boot issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fatcat776655

fatcat776655

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

hey everyone, how's it going?

i ran into some trouble last night. my laptop decided not to boot and gave me the blinking underscore in the top left corner. i was at first worried about overheating so i gave it an hour and switched out the harddrives to one of my older ones and it booted fine, so the computer def works.

so i switched back to the problem hd (160 gig western digital scorpio) and booted from the cd-rom into the recovery console and went through these steps:

1) changed attributes for boot.ini
2) deleted boot.ini
3) bootcfg /rebuild
4) chkdsk /r (said /f is not a valid parameter, i was under the impression that /r implies /f...)
5) fixboot

everything went fine, /fastdetect load option, chkdsk found some errors but they were recoverable and fixed (i hope? no /f parameter :[). one other nagging thing, i hit enter too fast and didn't get to put anything under the "load identifier prompt", i don't know if that would mess it up but i am going to do it all over again and make sure i put something in that field...

anyway, i'm going to assume the empty load identifier field doesn't matter...do i need to next use the FIXMBR command? i'm not too familiar with the recovery console because i take great care of my computers and have never really had an issue like this before, so i feel it is prudent to get some advice on how to use FIXMBR. also, could the hd be toast? i figure if the drive is toast none of the above would work.

inspiron 8600
1.5 ghz
win xp pro sp3
1 gig RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

The fixmbr command is the standard cure for the blinking cursor, black screen. Has nothing to do with the boot.ini file.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

How to rebuild the Windows boot.ini Using Bootcfg - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#3 fatcat776655

fatcat776655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

so i can just use FIXMBR? i get a warning that the computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record and that i may damage the partition tables if i countinue...advice?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

Continue, that's a standard warning that I see every time I have used the fixmbr command.

Louis

#5 fatcat776655

fatcat776655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

update: so FIXMBR didn't work, i still get the blinking underscore after POST when trying to boot. could the first few sectors of the hd be bad? chkdsk comes back with no errors.

would a repair install do anything?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

There is no magic answer.

The hard drive may be malfunctioning...the file system could be damaged...XP could be damaged...etc.

Trying a repair install with the correct CD cannot hurt anything, it remains to be seen if it helps.

Louis

#7 fatcat776655

fatcat776655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

alright, more advice needed...i am using an OEM XP pro full sp1 disk. the repair option will work using this disk even tho my current version of windows is sp3?

Edited by fatcat776655, 02 March 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

No.

Well...sort of...you would (probably) wind up with a probable overwrite of your current system, with the possibility that the result will not function properly.

I forced one once, just to see what would happen...it wasn't pretty and I just did a clean install of XP.

Read How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users