Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home no Backup Utility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 quay95

quay95

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

HI everyone

I have a used laptop Dell Inspiron 8100 running XP home , I can't find the backup utility. it's not in programs system tools or add ,remove programs. however it looks like it was installed at one time because i see a lot of Backup files. I need to back up my registry. is there an alternative way to back up the registry or a program (preferably free) I can use......I didn't get installation cd with it

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Using NTBackup in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

WindowsXP Tips, Installing NTBackup on XP Home - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm. Scroll down to Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version.

Louis

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

Windows XP does not come with any backup software. Anything you use would be third-party (not offered by Windows or built in).

If you want to backup the registry, this can be done inside the Windows Registry Editor. Type regedit into the Run box and hit Enter.

Go to File > Export > make sure at the bottom where it says "Export range" that All is dotted > navigate to where you want to save your backup > give it a descriptive name like registryBackup > click Save > wait until it is done, then close Registry Editor

If you want backup software, there are plenty of options out there: Easeus Todo Backup , Macrium Reflect, Cobian Backup, Acronis True Image Home, Norton Ghost, Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition, etc...and many others. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

If it is turned on, System Restore also pretty much backs up the registry and it does it automatically on a daily basis. I use that but still occassionally make a backup of it with Erunt just to be safe. I have never used Erunt to restore it as System Restore has always done what I have needed.

#5 quay95

quay95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

Thank you all so much! :thumbsup:

I went to the Bob Corelli site and down loaded the ntbackup

pretty cool site btw

thanks again

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

On behalf of all...you are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

also note:
Dell will sell you a oem reinstallation cd for about 16.00

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users