Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Age of Empires 3

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:49 PM

Its finally here! Age of Emipres 3 demo! :thumbsup:

http://files.vgpro.com/games/pc/age_of_empires_iii

I'm currently in the progress of downloading it, there are so many users downloading it, I'm only getting 56Kilobytes/s on my 5Mb connection.

A little heads up, this is a 375MB file. So if your a dial-up user you might have it downloaded by the time the game hits the shelf. :flowers: Currently (at the time of this post): there are 2096 people downloading it (including me).

Hope you guys enjoy.

(moderator edit: moved thread to Games forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 08 September 2005 - 10:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:56 PM

Yano! Play it for a while (once you get it downloaded) and let everyone know what you think of it. Write a review.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:16 PM

Ok sweet its at 67% now. When I wrote that last post I think I was at 50something %.

EDIT: 2138 Downloads argh.... more, and more...

Edited by yanowhiz, 08 September 2005 - 06:26 PM.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

Yeah I found it yesterday and on dial up went to download and saw it was a huge file! Even bigger than the EE2 demo I downloaded which was 220mb. It only took over night to get that but this one said it was going to take over 19 hours so I did not do it. Yes please tell us how it is!

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

Yea this is taking me 2 hours, and I got cable. But yea I can't wait. I've seen the screenshots and the trailers, and its fantastic.

http://empireearth.free.fr/aoe-iii/age-of-empires-1.jpg
http://www.ensemblestudios.com/age3images/...nshot2-1600.jpg
http://finalboss.globo.com/galeria/PC/A/Ag...res_3/88061.jpg
http://gamescreenshots.gamesurf.tiscali.it...nshot3-1600.jpg
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/albums/aoe3-ea...47669.sized.jpg

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:40 PM

Sometimes new versions of great games sacrifice gameplay for pretty graphics. I hope you will play the demo for a day or two and give us your honest opinion before anyone spends the time d/l or buying something really not worth it. I would rather read a honest review than some advertising blurb by a fanboy.
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 September 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

Don't worry John. I'll give it my best opinion. I should play my Age of Empires 2: The Age of Conquers (which I haven't played in a while) before I play AOE3.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:48 PM

Good idea! Most of us have AE2 so we would like to know how the new one differs.
John

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:18 PM

I couldn't find my AOE2 CD. So I'm just going to do a review on AOE3.

(sorry if this seems different, but this is my first review on anything.)

I first started playing a "skirmish" game (which is like a "quick battle"). I selected the "sandbox" level out of the various levels of difficulty. Which included, "Sandbox, Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert." I chose Sandbox, because I didn't want to take any chances on if they up the AI.
I get into the game and the graphics blow me away. I can see leaves falling, birds flying (you can almost tell what type of bird it is), and the water actually looks real, you can see waves, and everything. It amazing. I was reading online that unless you have a decent video card you won't be able to see many of these to there full potential.
I started playing the game, and as I was playing the game on the left hand side of the screen I kept getting "threating" messages from my computer opponent, as well as, some "wanders" that kept coming into my area. Building up is about the same, you got your standard buildings, Town Center, Houses, Mill, Outpost (which is similar to the "Bombard Tower" in AOE2"), Church, Market, Dock, and Trading Post. The trading post is used in maps to trade with virtually anyone (and no one, lol). What you would do is simply building a Trading Post next to a "trading path" and you will get free income. (Trust me this comes in really handy)
Once you built the buildings and you want to start building an army. Head to the Barracks, and you can build from and assortmant of people. You can also build the same ships from AOE2, however when you built the "fishing ship" you have to tell it to keep getting more fish (i think it may be a bug), but once it clears out one area you have to tell it to go to another.
Onto the actual game play. Once I got my army of "Muskeeteers," (I had about 20 of them)I sent them over to the other side of the map. Bleep that was a mistake, here the computer had at least 35 (I counted 35) Muskeeteers alone, plus Calvary. I was expecting to use the "formation" button to have them attack in a certain formation, however I was unable to find that feature. (I was told this would be a feature in this, I've even seen screenshots of troops in formations, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough). I quikcly retreat with the few men I have. Thank God, I'm on Sandbox level, because they didn't follow me. I then when back to my city and built about 50 more "musketeers" and headed by over thinking I could take them on now. I was greavely mistaken again. The Sandbox difficulty must be set to just build because thats all they ever do, is build a military and expand. They had even more Calvary and Musketeers than before. Once I saw this large army I said "Aw screw it, theres now way I can beat this army." So I just kept attacking. But they never did follow me, they just remained right there. So once I got there military gone, I quickly sent in my back-up and started attaking the buildings. But when I did, it was the most amazing sight I've ever seen. I could actually see the debris following off, and landing on the ground. IN DETAIL! When I started attackaing the Mill the "WindMill" blades starting falling off one by one, and eventually each blade came down. It was incredible. Even when you scroll the wheel part of the mouse you can zoom in and see the people's faces.

Personally if I were on dial-up and I went to a friends and played this. I would defintely wait the 20-something hours to download it. Its defintely worth it. However if you'd rather wait until October 18, you can buy it then for $50.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

That was quick and very good, Yano. I wonder how it plays if you use a more difficult level. I hope they have a formation function, too. I think they borrowed the tradepost from RON. Have they changed the amount of raw material units, for example, in mines? Are the various "ages" roughly the same, as well as building upgrades?
Just some personal questions you might be able to answer.
John

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

Ok I guess tomorrow night at 9 I will start to download it if I can. Thats when our cell phone has free mins for the rest of the weekend. I like your review,thanks so much!

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:53 PM

Your welcome.

Glad that you mentioned it John.

Just about an hour ago I played a 2nd game. With the difficulty increased to "Easy." And let me tell you, it wasn't "easy," they actually made the first move, even before I was ready.

The raw materials are: Food, Wood and "Coins." The coins, from what I can gather, involve silver, gold and any type of "monetary" unit.

Here are the ages.
  • Nomad
  • Discovery Age
  • Colonial Age
  • Fortress Age
  • Industrial Age
  • Post-Industrial Age
  • Imperial Age
  • Post-Imperial Age
Also the proper names of the levels of difficulty are:
  • Sandbox
  • Easy
  • Moderate
  • Hard
  • Expert
Also when you play a "skirmish" you get to select a "home city," and something with cards/decks, for trading which I haven't really understood yet.

However as I learn more I'll keep you guys posted. :thumbsup:

#13 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

Only took me 10 minutes to download and it seems to run quite well on my 2.4 p4 though I have a 6800 gt. Some of the new features will take a little getting used to, but the general age of empires features are there.

One thing, however, is there even a population limit now? I couldn't tell if there was a cap on how many people you could have, although you had to still build houses to make more people.

#14 RockIV

RockIV

• Banned
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:23 PM

How long can you play it for?

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:25 PM

I think its like the BF2 Trial, where you can play it forever, however you can't "learn to play" or network play in this trial.

Yes there is a population limit of 200. So its not worth it to build more than 20 houses. (ea. house supplies 10 people)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users