Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP laptop locking up with no apparent viruses

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 DougVanc

DougVanc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hello:

I have an older Sony laptop with Windows XP that I want to get usable for my kids homework. It continues to lock up at various times, sometimes just when sitting idle, other times while in Explorer, and other times. I thought it could have some type of a virus and went through some help in the Spybot Forum who found a few minor issues and cleaned them up, but they now recommended that I try here. I know about the low memory, and I have been deleting items off of C. It is a partitioned disk, and I still have plenty of space on D, but am not sure how and what items I can move to D or delete. Documents and Settings - My Documents is on C. I had run AVG antivirus, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes, and then ComboFix with their Forums help, and they have removed some issues but it continues to lock up. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not know what else to do.

Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Does it get hot?

#3 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

No, the fan runs and it runs cooler on the bottom than my other laptop. It may run fine for hours or lock up very quickly. I can't isolate it to a certain thing.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

System Specs and Manufacture?

#5 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

Sony PCG-FXA47, XP Home, AMD Athlon 1 Ghz, 256 RAM. 20 gig harddrive. As I said, partitioned with C and D. C is pretty full with only 732 MB left of 7.46 GB. D has approx. 10 GB left.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

You need more space then that. Free up some space, and why is it partitioned?

#7 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

It came that way from the factory, so a great question Why! I have read plenty about issues like this, as it stores all the Windows stuff and then My Documents in the same smaller C section. Is there any way to enlarge that partition or move some items to D? I have deleted all unnecessary programs out of C.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

How much space is on D?

#9 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

As I said approx. 10 GB, so plenty if I can get the right items moved.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Is most of this in My Documents?

if so right click on My Documents and change the C to a D and itll move it automatically.

#11 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:26 PM

Documents and Settings shows 844 MB, but are you sure that you can just change the drive for it? Will other programs and save options know where to find it? Inside this are 3 files - All Users, Doug B, and Owner.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

I think its time for a bigger hard drive.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Moving that folder won't even give you one gig of harddrive space and still leave you with not enough space on it and I do not believe you should move that folder. What else is on it? If you have any music or pics on it, those could be moved easily and with no ill effects. If there are programs that you have the install program for, I would uninstall those and reinstall them on the other partition. You could also, I have heard, increase the partition size by merging it with the other partition using a program like Partition Magic. I do not know if that program is free but there are some free ones out there.

Btw, there is a difference between the My Documents folder and the Documents and Settings folder.

Edited by Stang777, 01 March 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#14 DougVanc

DougVanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

Obviously its an older laptop and I don't want to start putting harddrive money into it. I don't have any music or photos on it. I have heard of the partition changing and this is one of the things I was wondering about.

#15 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

hard drives are cheap compared to what they were when this model was new. 54.00 for an 80g at new egg. 89 for a 250
Some early pcg series used low profile drives made by sony. You can look up the specs on the drive and see the thickness. Should be an ide drive with a tiny pin to blade adapter.

The lockups are a known issue with this model if you don't have the latest bios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users