Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to windows 7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jasmine123

Jasmine123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi

Would like to upgrade to windows 7 so I will have access to windows live movie maker
I have a click free external drive that should transfer my hard drive data back to my computer. However the instructions indicate to download and use Windows Easy Transfer. Is this still a necessary step? Can the click free work concurrently with the Easy Transfer software?
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

Can your system handle Windows 7?

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

#3 Jasmine123

Jasmine123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

Genius-
Gotta love anyone who knows anything about computers! :thumbsup:
I ran the advisor and I am good to go other than minor things like needing to update Microsoft Word Viewer & Quicktime. I should do those prior to an upgrade?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

No, you will have to do them after. The term "upgrade" is misleading for XP users. It is more of a "migration". You cannot do an in-place upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You must do a clean install.

See here.

What brand/model is your laptop? You need to go to your manufacturer's website, and check to see if they have Windows 7 drivers for your model. If it is more than a few years old, they may not have Windows 7 drivers. But most manufacturers do have Windows 7 drivers these days for fairly new computers.

If your computer is ready, go ahead and download all the drivers you will need and save them somewhere (a flash drive is great for this). Then gather up all your programs, installation CD's, and such...and have them ready for when you do the install of Windows 7. Then once you get it installed (don't forget to backup your data first!), install all your new drivers, and then all your software. Note: some of your software may not work with Windows 7. Most of the time, though, the Program Compatibility Assistant can work things out. I've only seen one piece of software that is completely incompatible with Windows 7, while also seeing plenty of software older than that one that work just fine.

Any more questions? :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Jasmine123

Jasmine123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Modified Dell Dimension 4600 Pentium Desktop 4 CPU, 2.8GHz, 1 GB RAM, e-GeForce FX 5500 Graphics,
Had watched the tutorial and printed the instructions.
The only flash I have is a 4GB- The click free-which is a 320GB hard drive- supposedly will restore everything to my computer when it is connected. My concern is whether or not I need to download and use the Windows Easy Transfer software or if there will be some sort of conflict? Geez I wish I was more computer literate. This is as difficult as me trying to explain my problem en francais! :thumbsup: Are you suggesting that I put only drivers on the flash?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

Id get more RAM and a much better video card.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Well, if you have an external hard drive, you can just save the driver installation files to it when you download them along with saving your file backups on the same drive. A flash drive is just another means of storage. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't know anything about the Windows Easy Transfer, so somebody else will have to help you with that. :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 March 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

Hehe...sorry, but Dell doesn't have any Windows 7 drivers for that model.

You may just have to buy a new PC if you want to move to Windows 7. It's probably worth it with a computer that old anyway...

Sorry again, Jasmine.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 March 2010 - 09:12 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well, if you have an external hard drive, you can just save the driver installation files to it when you download them along with saving your file backups on the same drive. A flash drive is just another means of storage. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't know anything about the Windows Easy Transfer, so somebody else will have to help you with that. :thumbsup:

Just because Dell doesn't have doesn't mean the manufactures of the hardware installed doesn't.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

Well, good luck finding them... :thumbsup:

I mean, you said yourself that the computer needed more RAM and a better graphics card. There is no Windows 7 support (drivers) because it is too old. A new computer would be the best option, in my opinion.

Good luck, Jasmine. :flowers:

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResu...+Chipset+Family - Intel 865PE Chipset Driver for WIndows 7 as well as the Graphics Driver if needed.

http://www.bioticaindia.com/adi1980.html - Sound Card Drive which maybe included in WIn7.

And that is all the other hardware drivers will auto install.

The RAM will need to be increased for performance issues.

Video Card will need to be upgraded as to increase video performance.

THe system should be fine after that for basic run of the mill programs and web browsing.

#12 Jasmine123

Jasmine123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Thanks to all-have been trying to avoid cost of new computer right now. But when one gets a new camcorder and requires video editing software one quickly becomes aware of having an old computer! Even my inexpensive camcorder is HD which has its own requirements. Any opinions as to best system for the budget concious?

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

You can check out Dell's Product Advisor.

For you, I would personally go with a Dell Inspiron 1545. They are pretty standard and relatively budget priced these days. HP's are good, too.

You might want to ask for advice in the Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer sub-forum instead of in this topic. :thumbsup:

#14 Jasmine123

Jasmine123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

You are all awesome! Thanks so much for your advice! Hope you have a wonderful evening!

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Thanks, you're welcome, and you too! :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 March 2010 - 10:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users