Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server login trouble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

The problem I'm having is that the workstation randomly cant log into the server(or more appropriately cant access any network drives or access any server based programs)
I don't have the exact system specs but it is a dell PC, so far i have swapped the network card out with another card and tried entirely new cabling (new cable new port on the switch) and this makes no difference. I can however get to the internet from the workstation and it will make it through the log in screen to the domain without error, the error only happens when we try to access something on the server. It will either ask for a user name and password and not accept any user name\password combo, or it will give an error that the drive is not accessible. Outlook will sometimes work and sometimes not when we are having this problem. Restarting the workstation fixes the problem sometimes but it requires that it be restarted several times. it takes the employee who uses it sometimes 30-45 min to get into the system and after it has been left alone for a while (lunch break or overnight) it will not log out but start having this error. Also the printer becomes inaccessible (it is a network printer). any help on this would be appreciated.

If any more info is needed i will try to get it to you all as fast as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Are you using Active Directory?

I have seen this with some of the machines on my network I found that there was some software installed by the PC manufacturer that tended to take out the network connectivity (bloatware). Once I removed these unnecessary programs I had no further problems.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

yes we have active directory, any ideas what programs can cause this? we recently installed bitdeffender anti-virus SBS edition, but i "think" we had this problem before we installed it.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

The programs that gave me trouble were Lenovo programs ThinkCentre Message Center, Power Managers and stuff like that. Not sure if there is anything equivalent on a Dell or not. Could also be that it's not processing your login script in your sysvol folder.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

How would i check if the login script is giving me trouble?
I will also check for power management programs ect.
Thanks for the help this has been a problem for quite a long time we just have been dealing with it up till now but it seems to be getting worse and making it harder for the employee to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users