Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Removing Windows Defender 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boardgamegirl

boardgamegirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hi, last week my Windows XP home-edition laptop was infected with the Windows Defender 2010 virus. I followed the directions from this article (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/09/what_to_do_when_rogue_anti-vir.html) to remove it, including downloading and running Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, as well as Norton Anti-virus. I ran them in this order: Norton, Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes. All three picked up threats, which I deleted or quarantined, depending on what it'd let me do.

After running Malwarebytes, the annoying Windows Defender 2010 stopped popping up, BUT now every time I open a program (be it Firefox, Norton, etc.), I get the "What program would you like to use to open this file?" window.

I then tried to do a system restore to an earlier date. However, when I tried to run system restore in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode, I got the message that "System restore has been turned off by group policy..." To try to fix that, I tried both the regedit.exe and gpedit.msc fixes suggested here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm

Now when I try to run System Restore from Safe Mode, it says I must run it in Normal Mode. When I try to run it in Normal mode, I get a message that says, approximately, "System Restore is disabled. Do you want to enable it?" And when you click "Yes," nothing else happens.

What do you suggest I can do to make my computer run normally again?

Thank you for your help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boardgamegirl

boardgamegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

I've had no luck getting system restore to work. If anyone knows a fix, it'd be much appreciated! Thank you.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hello,

Given what you've already done, I suggest that you follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users