Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100 Info& PUAs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sweetmuffins

sweetmuffins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Spyware Doctor says I have 100 Info & PUAs. I don't know what those are. All I know is that they have something to do with "Registry Value" and "Registry Key."

I'm trying to become educated with computers. I don't know how to fix these problems... :thumbsup:

Help would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

Info & PUAs: these Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) have some characteristics of malware, but possess no known risks to your system. Typical characteristics could include:

* Displaying low-impact advertisements
* Partially uninstalling
* Applications which have been associated with adware or spyware in the past

PC Tools Threat Levels

Note: These type of threats will be detected during a scan where you are given the option to leave them on the system but they are not blocked by SpywareDoctor's real time protection. You can also select not to have these threats detected in the scan by changing the general settings not to include 'Information Only' low level Threats in scan results.

A Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) is a very broad threat category that can include any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as malicious. They may also be defined somehwat differently by various security vendors.Some programs falling into the PUP category have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user or administrator has knowingly installed it. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In many cases such detections can be a "False Positive". Since these detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program, you need to investigate further if not familiar with them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users