Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating laptop...AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my laptop issue.

I use my machine for a lot of video conversion. I have ALWAYS used ConvertXtoDVD (I am currently using version 4.) I bought my laptop in December 2008, and it was working 100% perfectly right up until about a month and a half ago, at which point it began to shut down randomly whenever I used ConvertXtoDVD to convert a video file. Keep in mind that this started happening completely out of the blue.

Since it began happening, I have done countless troublehooting procedures. I've sucked any dust out of the fan vent on the left side of the laptop using a special vacuum for electronics; I've opened up the laptop and cleaned any dust out of the fan and checked the heatsink for dust buildup (there is absolutely none there, by the way.) I have set the conversion priority of ConvertXtoDVD to "idle" and when I try to do a conversion project, I just leave the computer to do its work, and go off to do something else.

I downloaded Everest and had a look at the temperatures while the machine is idle, compared to what they are when the program is running. Here are the results:

IDLE
CPU, CORE 1: 52 C
CPU, CORE 2: 53 C
The third temp is listed as 32 C, but I am not sure what this temp is. Is it the fan temperature?

WHILE USING CONVERTXTODVD:
CPU, CORE 1: 82 C
CPU, CORE 2: 74 C
The third temp is still listed as 32 degrees.

The shutdown is very...undramatic, I suppose you could say. No beeps, no clicks, no nothing....it simply shuts down.

Now, I know that video conversion is very CPU-intensive. But *something* had to have happened to make this start occurring all of a sudden.

I have also *tried* to run a memory test to see if I have any bad RAM. But....wait for it....the laptop shuts down before I can even complete the test. I have also downloaded programs designed to run "stress tests" on the CPU, and the laptop always shuts down before the process has completed. I've also run several anti-virus programs to make sure that there are no viruses that might be causing this.

During my research online, I have seen many, many mentions of "thermal paste/compound", and I've seen diagrams of where it should be in terms of the inside of the laptop. I am pretty sure that there is none of that anywhere inside my laptop, and I have certainly never applied any. I'm also starting to wonder if my laptop needs a bigger fan, or a more powerful one.

I know that the most obvious answer is "Take the laptop to a repair shop", but frankly, there are only two computer repair shops in this town, and they charge at least 50 bucks just to have a look, outside of any repairs they might have to do. I suppose I'm hoping that someone here *might* have an idea, as I have run out of them and am pretty much at the end of my rope.

If anyone has any ideas as to what else I can do, I would REALLY appreciate it. This laptop is practically my baby, and I certainly don't want it to be struggling if there's anything I can do.

My system specs are in my signature, btw.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Well for beginners a temp of 82c is running hot and can cause problems and damage over the long term. (perhaps the damage has already been done in this case)

I would suggest taking the processor heatsink off and cleaning the processors header and heatsink's bottom and applying thermal paste. (Just enough to cover the hearder with a thin layer)

Make sure the procesor fan is spinning freely and is allowed to increase speed when more cooling is needed.

Using a cooling pad (found at most computer assessories stores) can help keep things cool while you are runing this convertxdvd program.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have already been using a cooling pad. As a matter of fact, I bought one when I first got the laptop, so I have been using one since before the shutdown issue ever started.

I even bought a new AC adapter, thinking it might be a power supply issue. That is definitely not it, though, since the problem has persisted. Luckily, the adapter I bought was able to be returned.

I think I'm going to just take it to one of the repair shops in town and see what they can find out. I'll get them to go in and clean all the components, and if something needs to be replaced....well, so be it. I paid way too much for this laptop to have it become a paperweight in just over a year.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Can't argue with you on that note!
Good luck and hope all turns out well for you!
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

The 3rd temp you mention is probably your video card (or onboard chip) temp.

Temps can be frustrating to understand. My Acer laptop was getting up in the 90s so I had the heat sink compound replaced and temps dropped by about 45ēC - good stuff. Cost NZ$45.

The Compaq was also getting up in the 90s, so I had the same thing done last week with no discernable difference. (This one was much more difficult to get into and cost me NZ$90 - about US$75 - so I was pretty annoyed, LOL)

I have just got a Pavilion DV6, and in the instructions it says that if temps are around 110ēC, DO NOT OVERCLOCK. Go figure!!!  :thumbsup:

Edited by rowal5555, 01 March 2010 - 02:37 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

During my research online, I have seen many, many mentions of "thermal paste/compound", and I've seen diagrams of where it should be in terms of the inside of the laptop. I am pretty sure that there is none of that anywhere inside my laptop, and I have certainly never applied any. .

There is theremal paste in between the processer and the heat sink if you didnt put it on then im sure your manufacturer did otherwise your temps would be even higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users