Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless printing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hope someone can help me,

I have a Lenovo notebook of which is connected to the net via a Time/Warner 4G usb modem.
Recently I upgraded the notebook's hard drive and did a fresh install of Win7 from Vista, I was able to save and transfer document and media files.
A Linksys WRT54G v8 wireless router used to communicate wirelessly to a Canon printer which worked flawlessly, but since this update I need to re-enter my network passphrase in order for my notebook to communicate with the router
I've forgotten my router's network security passphrase, and the Linksys website is a lesson in futility to access/change this passphrase
Fortunately, I do have the logon credentials to my Linksys account, can someone offer insight as how I go about viewing/changing my passphrase @ their site?
Would it be easier to just do the entire wireless setup again?

Mind you that I am only using the router as a access point to my printer, not for internet access

Thanks in advance !

:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

Reset your router to factory defaults and then create a new security passphrase. YOu can probably do this from inside the router GUI by typing the IP address of the router into an IE page and then logging in to the router. If you can't do it from there then you can do it manually via the little spot on the back of the router. You will need a pin or something that will fit into the hole for the reset button.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

If you mean you enter 192.168.1.1 into a browser's address bar, hit Enter and when the box pops up asking for a user name and password, you changed them and can't remember then yeah you'll have to reset the router with the reset button on the back. Then the password will be admin and there is no user name. Either way once you can get into the router's GUI then you can just change the pass phrase. You set up the security not Linksys so you can change it to whatever you want. If using WPA/WPA2, I'd suggest a 4 - 5 word sentence. You can use letters, numbers, symbols and spaces with WPA/WPA2.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users