Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dbowman1274

dbowman1274

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

My son's laptop has Windows Vista. I recently removed some spyware/malware, but just after it was infected, it started prompting me everytime I tried to open anything, Internet explorer, Safari, Norton, etc. It asks what program I want to use to open and will not open if I do not choose a program. How can I stop it from doing this? We have had this laptop almost a year and it has never done this before. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

It's probably because some registry settings were changed/removed during the infection/cleanup process. The malware probably changed registry keys, then when the malware was removed, the incorrect/infected keys are still there. The registry points Windows to the program to use for certain file extensions. When these are screwed up, nothing will run correctly.

You might be able to just uninstall, then reinstall all your programs (use Revo Uninstaller). Or you might have to reinstall Windows entirely. Sometimes, malware can screw up a system so bad, that the only thing that will fix it is a clean install.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :huh:

Somebody else might come along with some brighter options, but that's all I've got. :huh:

You can try to reinstall the programs, but the best option after a severe infection like this is a full format and clean install.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 March 2010 - 11:12 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Download and run exeHelper.

* Please download exeHelper from Raktor to your desktop.
* Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
* A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
* A log file named log.txt will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com
* Attach the log.txt file to your next message.[/list]
Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users