Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyCS

DaveyCS

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

:thumbsup:
My daughter has a Asus Eee PC 4G. It also has a external HD and a 32G card I bought. She sent it to a shop awhile back because of a virus.They said it wasn't on external HD or Card (virus). They reinstalled XP.Now it says not enough memory left on drive to add any thing?? I did a C drive junk file clean! Still no help, even did disk defrag! No Help. It shows about half of drive is fragmented. It shows tons of programs that are fragmented. A lot of duplicate files also, that are fragmented.
How Do I fix this? I did have a reinstall disk, the repair shop kept it!! They swear they didn't. I'm getting yelled at by all sides....
HELP !!!!

I meant to ask if I get the program that will give me info on registration and key will it allow me to reinstall from another computer we have?
:trumpet: :flowers:
Thank You For Your Help David C Sr
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

<<A lot of duplicate files...>>

How do you know this? In themselves, duplicate files are no problem for a system.

How large is the hard drive in the Asus PC? How large is the C: partition? How much free space on the C: partition?

<<Now it says not enough memory left on drive to add any thing?>>

What is the exact error message...and when does it appear?

<<How Do I fix this?>>

That depends on your answers.

Louis

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

that model has a 4g SSD (solid state drive) an awful lot of those early 4g drives are getting toasty.
I replaced two this month. Without the user supplied disk there is no way I could have installed full size xp on it.

An upgrade to a 32 g should be in the 100.00 range but be careful what you buy. Their are slight but terminal differences in the drive needed for the asus and some other netbooks.

Asus search does not even recognize the terms "recovery disk" or "xp cd"

They also seem to be actively going after people who post an iso of their recovery cd as a torrent.

Here is a guide to cleaning up the disk of cruft and unwanted programs on the 4g

http://blog.laptopmag.com/spring-cleaning-the-eee-pc-4g-xp

Note the 4g-x is different from the 4g xp (surf)

#4 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

:thumbsup: hamluis: It doesn't give an error message. I bought and paid for a xp recovery disk from Asus. They said they would not sell another one! When you run defrag it will show all areas that are fragmented. Then hit report and it show all files that are fragment and how many times it is fragmented. Try to load a simple program and it states not enough memory!

Ken-in-West-Seattle: I will give you a up date on this. Thank you for the reply both of you.

Thank You Again David C S :flowers: :trumpet:
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users