Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer desktop wont boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hi guys, I own an old XP home edition AcerPower SV APSV-U-N2602, Intel P4 2.6 Ghz 512k 478P CPU,IED HDD,I tried to upgrade the GVC 56K modem V.92 and it did not work, so I put the modem back in, a lan card did not take. Now it wont boot, the lights come on for a second every ten trys or so. I can't get the battery out of the mainboard to reset the cmos, very stubborn. What else can I try, I read somewhere I can press F10 or some other function to boot it, anyone familiar with this Acer??
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:11 AM

sometimes there is a jumper on the motherboard you can short by touching the pins with a flat head screwdriver, I would try seeing if it has one, it should say something along the lines of clr_cmos next to it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:14 AM

What a Journey! Removed the cmos battery, replaced the power supply, added a gig of ram, replaced the battery after 30 mins, capacitors can hold a charge that long. Installed XP, still would not boot the os, darn! Wonder if Vista Ultimate would load? Hot dang! It loaded,and on 1.5 gigs of ram! I'll get another stick of ram and a PCI graphics card and sell it as refurbished, 1 year warranty only. Amazing! Regards,Alan Oh also replaced 80 gig Hdd with 200 gig!

Edited by audioAl, 03 March 2010 - 06:15 AM.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users