Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus gone but computer still freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 islander90

islander90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hey all... new to the forum. Was hoping I would be able to solve my wife's laptop issues on my own, but I guess I was wrong. It's a few year old Sony VGN-N160G. A few days ago, she went to Myspace and the Antivirus Soft popup got her and that's where the problems began...

I ran MalwareBytes and cleared the 2 issues it found. Restarted and the Antivirus Soft was still there. I found another site that had a different way to fix it, and I ended up just deleting the exe file out of the Application Data directory that it was in. Restarted and everything seemed fine. I ran another MalwareBytes and it came back clean. I ran AdAware, but it froze halfway through. I thought nothing of it and assumed all was well.

The next day, the wife went back to using her computer as normal. After not long, she had already had to hard shut down a few times after it had frozen so she stopped using it. This weekend, I started working on it some more. Started by doing a system restore to a day or two before Antivirus Soft popped up. Then various scans would freeze after the computer was on for about an hour. So I rebooted in Safe Mode and ran a few scans. I don't think MalwareBytes found anything, and Adaware found nothing and AVG found nothing. Rebooted to normal mode and after a little while it would "freeze" and require a hard shut down. What was weird was that when the computer "froze", anything that was open worked fine. Meaning that I could click through tabs on MalwareBytes or even cancel the scan that had stopped scanning and it would pop up an "are you sure you want to cancel the scan" window. It would act completely normal except that the scanned files weren't changing so it had obviously frozen. I checked the Task Manager and all processes (even system idle process) were at 0%.

Did some more testing around and determined that if I left the Wifi switch to the off position, the computer wouldn't freeze at all no matter how long I ran scans or anything. But if I switched the wifi back on and it connected, within minutes (or even seconds one time), it would freeze and all processes would go to 0% CPU.

Downloaded Spybot: S&D, rebooted to safe mode and scanned. It found 2 Virtumunde trojans and cleared them. I did some research on these and found that they can be a pain, so I downloaded from here VundoFix and VirtumondoBegone; ran them and had no problems. Also ran CCleaner somewhere in there as well.

My brother suggested ComboFix, so I got that, ran it, and it froze in the "rebooting windows..." phase. I'm guessing that was because I had to turn on the Wifi for the recovery console, that caused it to glitch. Hard shut down even though it said to let ComboFix do the reboot. Restarted and ComboFix finished up. Spybot S&D popped up a bunch of registry entry changes though; I'm assuming things that ComboFix did?

While I was waiting, I decided to start a topic on here and saw where it said to NOT run ComboFix unless instructed to do so. Sorry about that. I have the log file, but I'll wait until you instruct me as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated because, as you can see, I've tried a lot of different things and am coming up short in terms of positive results. Many thanks in advance, and hopefully I haven't actually screwed it up worse than it was!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hello, moving this from XP to Am I Infected.

You will need to Download and Run DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log..
If for some reason you cannot perform a step, move on to the next.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 thru 8 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help . Then go here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 islander90

islander90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

you may lock this thread. I tried running the diagnostic, but the computer kept freezing. So I decided it was time to make some recovery discs, format, and start from scratch. As of 4AM, her computer is good to go. Thanks for your quick reply. I will keep this website in mind when we have our next computer issue.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for letting us know and we appreciate your visit.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users