Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally formatted C drive

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Amarea

Amarea

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:22 PM

I was running XP on my PC and had purchased an external hard drive. I went to format it to use with my PS3 but accidentally clicked on my C drive and it appears to have wiped it out. When it restarted itself, all it says at the bottom is verifying DMI pool data... update successful!

Is there anything I can do to "unformat" this and restore my stuff? I haven't done anything to it for fear of messing it up further.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

I was running XP on my PC and had purchased an external hard drive. I went to format it to use with my PS3 but accidentally clicked on my C drive and it appears to have wiped it out. When it restarted itself, all it says at the bottom is verifying DMI pool data... update successful!

Is there anything I can do to "unformat" this and restore my stuff? I haven't done anything to it for fear of messing it up further.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

If you intend to do that, do not use that hard drive until you find a suitable program to unerase the drive.

There is hope as long as nothing else was done to the drive.

Its been a while since I've done this but there is a way, for now I just wanted to tell you NOT to use the drive in the meantime.

I know Norton had a program called unerase, there are other programs that will do that as well.

The data area on the drive has been marked as usable, but until it is written to the data area can be restored.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

By the way anytime you add a new OS to a dual hard drive system, it's always best to disable the other drive, that way there is no mistake of formating or installing on the wrong drive.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Amarea

Amarea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

I am leaving it as it is until someone can guide me on what to do. It won't boot past that first screen with the Verifying DMI pool message. I'm not as tech savy as what I'd like to be and I can't risk losing everything on there if I don't have to.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

If Windows is installed on C drive, you can't really format C from within Windows, so something else happened.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 Amarea

Amarea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

Trust me, I am telling you exactly what happened. I went to format the external hard drive to FAT32 in order for my PS3 and WDTV Live to recognize the files on it. When I went to format it, I accidentally hit the wrong drive as my C drive as it was a drop down menu and I thought I had clicked the external drive.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Verifying DMI Pool Data...

Louis

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

Not going to argue with you. I will post under the assumption you did format your C drive.

There is no way you can restore the hard drive to the way it was as all of your file tables have been erased and no readily available consumer available software (I am aware of) will recover that.

The best you can hope for is to plug the drive into another system, and use a recovery program to pull off the data you want to save. Your OS and apps are toast. Good news is that you didn't overwrite a lot of data during the format so the vast majority of it should be recoverable. Once you pull off all your data you will have to go through the OS reinstall etc.

Edited by dpunisher, 01 March 2010 - 10:06 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Amarea

Amarea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Emachines EL 1200-06w

#10 Amarea

Amarea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Not going to argue with you. I will post under the assumption you did format your C drive.

There is no way you can restore the hard drive to the way it was as all of your file tables have been erased and no readily available consumer available software (I am aware of) will recover that.

The best you can hope for is to plug the drive into another system, and use a recovery program to pull off the data you want to save. Your OS and apps are toast. Good news is that you didn't overwrite a lot of data during the format so the vast majority of it should be recoverable. Once you pull off all your data you will have to go through the OS reinstall etc.

What else could I have done if not that? I was reformatting one drive to FAT32. Isn't the C drive NTFS? Could formatting C to Fat32 cause what I'm seeing?

How would I go about plugging my PC into another and pulling the data off? I'm totally new to this.

Thank you!

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Can you tell us who the drive was manufactured by?

Seagate, maxtor, western digital .ect.

#12 Amarea

Amarea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

Western Digital

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

I have one of those systems...if you still have the Emachines software on there, that's probably the problem.

You can open the case (remove the screws in back), left side panel and front come loose. Inside the case is the hard drive, inside a small cage which can be removed.

Take the hard drive out...attach it to a second system. If your files are visible, all good. If not, use your favorite recovery software program to attempt to recover data files.

I would attach the drive to a second system before doing anything else...I like to know if there's a partition that can be read without fuss.

Louis

#14 Amarea

Amarea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Stupid question... Do I need anything special to attach it to another computer?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Not a stupid question, one that has to be asked these days :thumbsup:.

Depends on the type of drive installed (PATA or SATA) and depends on the connections available on the 2d system.

The two (primary) types of hard drives have differing connectors.

You need to take a physical look at the drive, and you'll be able to tell whether it's PATA or SATA.

See Fig. 1 at http://www.directron.com/patasata.html for photo of each, Fig. 2 shows connecting cables for each.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users