Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Un-hide saved files on a floppy....please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 realdeal8471

realdeal8471

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hi, I am hoping someone here can help. Here is the situation: A few years ago when I upraded to a new PC, I saved all of my files so I could load them on the new one. I had some hidden pics, and my folder options were set to 'Do not show hidden files or folders'. I saved a couple of those pics in a folder that was NOT hidden, and then saved that folder to a floppy. Well, now when I look on the floppy, I have the folder, and it shows the size of the contents and in folder properties shows there are 2 files. But, nothing shows up when I open the folder. My folder options are now set to 'show hidden files and folders', but since it wasn't when I saved them, I guess it has no effect on them. I have tried some 'un-hide' commands in DOS, but that didn't work. Another problem is I can't remember the name of the two files. These are some very important personal pics that I would love to have back. I know they are there, but I just have no idea how to retrieve them. I build computers, so I'm not a novice, but I don't claim to be an expert either. Especially when it comes to software or commands in DOS. I will list here the things I have tried to try and cut down anything that will just waste bandwidth, lol:

attrib -h /s /d a:file name, and file name/what I think I named the pics

Make the folder hidden and then un-hiding it

Also, I have tried to save the folder to my hard drive, thinking that might work. But, for some reason, I get an error when it gets to 'thumbs'.....what ever that is. It says 'cyclic redundancy check' I think.

This is not a very big file, obviously. It is 1.04MB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Have you tried taking ownership of the folder?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 realdeal8471

realdeal8471
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

Have you tried taking ownership of the folder?

OK, you lost me. Please explain.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 realdeal8471

realdeal8471
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hmmm....never heard of that. But, I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users