Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't boot after fresh install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hi. I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on my Samsung NC10 netbook. The hard drive has three partitions -- one for recovery that came as a factory default and two I made separately. The installation went smoothly with no hiccups, but as soon as it finished and I restarted the PC, it went straight to the recovery partition instead of the partition where I installed Win 7. Can someone give some advice? Much thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

So, did it come with XP originally? That's how my Samsung GO N310 netbook came to me: XP with a recovery partition. I squeezed XP down to 20GB, installed Windows 7 Pro on the remaining space, and never looked back.

Did you leave the original OS on there? When you install, Windows 7 should add itself to the bootloader. It sounds like this did not happen for some reason.

My knowledge of bootloaders and such is limited, but I will do my best to offer help and advice. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Kyle B

Kyle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

So, did it come with XP originally? That's how my Samsung GO N310 netbook came to me: XP with a recovery partition. I squeezed XP down to 20GB, installed Windows 7 Pro on the remaining space, and never looked back.

Did you leave the original OS on there? When you install, Windows 7 should add itself to the bootloader. It sounds like this did not happen for some reason.

My knowledge of bootloaders and such is limited, but I will do my best to offer help and advice. :huh:

Yeah, it came with XP originally, and I kept a backup image with Samsung's built-in backup program in the recovery partition as I fooled around with the Windows 7 RC in case something might blow up. Now that I have a copy available, I figured I'd nuke the RC and reinstall.

And other than the backup image, there's no hide nor hair of XP.

You're right, somehow I accessed the bootloader, and I only got Samsung's recovery partition showing up instead of that and the Win 7.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

Hmm....I don't really know what else to try besides deleting all the partitions except the recovery, then reinstalling Windows 7 again. You don't really have anything to lose. It won't boot now anyway. There isn't much you could screw up.

It might have something to do with the possibility that the recovery partition's boot loader works differently than a Windows-made bootloader....it's just a hunch. I don't know for sure.

I know on mine, you have to press F4 on POST to access the recovery options. Otherwise I get the "Boot Manager" screen which has the timeout for booting into the default OS, or I can intervene and choose the other. The recovery partition does not act like a normal OS/boot option. It is somehow set aside in the firmware of the system as separate from the OS's. But, if I deleted the recovery partition, it probably wouldn't work anymore.

I'm not sure why Windows 7 did not get added to the bootloader on yours. You might be able to modify the boot.ini file, assuming one exists in this case. But it would probably just be easier to try and install Windows 7 again. You may end up with the same issue (won't boot), but, like I said, it doesn't hurt to try. :huh:

#5 Kyle B

Kyle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hmm...that brings up another question. My other partition has documents I've backed up before this, and some files are in Korean. This bit should be accessible should I boot with a Linux live CD, right?

Edited by Kyle B, 28 February 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Probably....I've never used a Linux live cd before, so I can't say for sure. But from what I've heard, yes, it should work.

One option I just thought of is this:

Boot off your Windows 7 install disc and chose "Repair your computer" instead of "Install Now". It will scan for operating systems, and if you're lucky, find the Windows 7 that got left out of the bootloader. Recovery of the OS should ensue, and you will have to reboot. It may boot correctly after this, or you may have to do a Startup Repair or two. But it is certainly worth a try. I've recovered more than one operating system in this fashion (letting the recovery tools find it). :huh:

Let me know if it works.

#7 Kyle B

Kyle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Probably....I've never used a Linux live cd before, so I can't say for sure. But from what I've heard, yes, it should work.

One option I just thought of is this:

Boot off your Windows 7 install disc and chose "Repair your computer" instead of "Install Now". It will scan for operating systems, and if you're lucky, find the Windows 7 that got left out of the bootloader. Recovery of the OS should ensue, and you will have to reboot. It may boot correctly after this, or you may have to do a Startup Repair or two. But it is certainly worth a try. I've recovered more than one operating system in this fashion (letting the recovery tools find it). :huh:

Let me know if it works.

I hate to disagree, but the "Repair your Computer" option didn't do me any good :huh: But thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate your help all the same.

#8 Kyle B

Kyle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Update. I've deleted the two partitions I've created and made one whole partition and reinstalled Windows 7. Apparently the recovery partition is untouchable. It STILL goes to the recovery partition. I'm this close to start pulling hairs now.

This never happened when I installed RC!

MAJOR EDIT:
It's working. On a tangent on what keyboardNinja said, the boot loader was a bit messed up. Within the CD, there is a file called bootsect.exe which, according to MS TechNet, "updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions to switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot sector on your computer." (link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...8WS.10%29.aspx)

I found where bootsect.exe was, and typed in bootsect /nt60 C:

Now it friggin works. Case closed.

Edited by Kyle B, 01 March 2010 - 10:46 AM.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

Haha....what did I tell you? :huh:

Like I said, I don't know a lot about boot loaders or how to modify them without instruction, but I know enough to know when one is messed up. And apparently that was the case for you.

Glad to know you got it fixed. :crazy:

Isn't it funny how you can be pulling your hair out over something so frustrating, then one little command will fix it? :thumbup2: :inlove:

Cheers! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users