Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strong signal from wireless router, can't aquire an IP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laura90059

laura90059

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:20 PM

My daughter got some sort of virus on her computer, by the time she told me about it she had a blue screen and Windows would not boot.

She was running XP Pro with all the current updates.

I formatted and reinstalled XP Pro, using the long, not fast, format option (our version is pre SP2) and tried to connect to the Internet to get all the service packs and updates, but cannot connect to the Internet.

I could connect to the wireless router with a strong signal but not to the Internet. I tried to repair the connection but could not renew the IP address.

We have 5 other computers connecting to the same router, so bad a router is not the problem. The computer is still sitting in the same location as it was prior to this mess, so location in relation to the router is also not the issue.

I tried setting a fixed IP, still could not connect.

I have changed out the wireless card (with the proper drivers) using one from another computer that is working fine. Still can't get an IP.

I ran winsockXPfix.exe.

Then, in desperation, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Same problem, can't get an IP assigned and setting a fixed IP doesn't work either.

Also, no firewall or anti virus are currently installed (except whatever Windows 7 installs, but I checked it when I still had XP Pro installed), so they can't be blocking.

What I am wondering is if the virus possibly shut some ports or did some mischief that is not even fixable with a format and clean install.

Tools, I have at my disposal:
USB flash drive for transferring files
CD/DVD burner to transfer bigger files

I am not worried about reinstalling an OS, computer has no files to save.

Please advise, I could really use some help with this one!

Edited by boopme, 01 March 2010 - 01:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

Hello ,try these if no luck I'll move yo to another forum.

Try this--open control, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, uncheck the box next to "use proxy...."

OR
Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

OR
For Windows 2K/XP
Please go to Start -> Control Panel, and choose Network Connections. Then right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and left click on properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says Obtain DNS servers automatically. Click OK twice, and restart your computer.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 laura90059

laura90059
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

done...no love there either.

Edited by laura90059, 01 March 2010 - 07:54 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hello as you have re formatted, Malware should be gone. I will move this to networking for others to see.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

What is installed now? XP? or 7?

At a command prompt, when you type ipconfig /all and hit Enter, what is shown? If you have 7 installed it'll be the IPv4 that I am interested in.

And you are connecting wireless? Have you tried wired?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users