Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CluelessGamer

CluelessGamer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

Looking to buy a new desktop. Some of my games won't work on Mac, so I'll be sticking to Windows. I'm prepared to spend about $500 (just a guideline, a little higher is okay) on this thing, just looking for a good setup right off the shelves. I'm going to be using it for gaming, so I need one that can handle some pretty intense graphics. Obviously for $500 I won't be getting a top-of-the-line system, but I wanted to upgrade from what I got now, as some of the cooler games are starting to move out of my capabilities. Right now I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ running 2.20GHz, 2.0 GB RAM, with a GEForce 6600 LE. Hopefully y'all can tell me what to look for (there are a LOT of numbers on computer adds, and I don't know what they all mean) so I can get the most power for my money.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

I don't game...but I would not expect to find any sort of gaming system for $500 that would justify the expenditure.

Rather than go that route, I would think that it would be wiser to upgrade the motherboard/CPU, RAM, and GPU...and therefore (IMO) get more bang for your bucks. Maybe a new PSU also.

You might take a look at http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/...ay_crysis_40fps, bearing in mind that it's now 2010 and chances are that systems such as the one mentioned...probably cost a tad less now.

Louis

More Links, $500 Gaming Ideas

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#3 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:52 AM

If you're willing to venture into a custom built pc surely 500 can get you a very good machine for gaming if you're a little savvy with your hardware shopping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users