Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup programs removal failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Riazhack

Riazhack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

Im Using Win XP professional SP2. Ive been having some trouble removing programs from the startup run list, and ive tried different programs to try and fix it but nothing works.

I was testing spyware removing programs about a month ago, and had installed Spyware Doctor, and set it to start up when windows loaded. Later i uninstalled the program, but apparantly it did not remove the program from the startup list. Then i installed Spybot SD, and had it set to start up with windows. Then i tried turning that off, and it didnt work. Everytime i start up the PC, it gives me and error saying it cant find Spyware doctor. When i accept, it continues and loads Spybot.

Ive tried CCleaner and Startup Program Remover Buddy, But neither seems to work, also, i tried to do deactivate them manually through Run> msconfig, but it doesnt affect either. I tried to deactivate it through the Spybot options, and it shows the option as off, but still loads...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Your getting this error message because Windows is still using the startup registry entry for Spyware Doctor but cannot find its associated file since your removed it.

In order to correct this you need to find and delete that start up registry entry. Navigate to the following keys, look for and delete Spyware Doctor's startup entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Always back up your registry before making any changes. ERUNT is an excellent FREE tool to use for doing this: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

I am confused, are you trying to uninstall the programs or just prevent them from loading at startup? If the later, usually removing from the startup folder or going into msconfig and unchecking program will work. If still a problem, you might uninstall and reinstall using custom options, there should be an option to not load automatically.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

Try using cCleaner. Go to the "Issues" tab and scan. Then "Scan for issues". WARNING. This will alter you registery. Back it up PRIOR to running cCLeaner or any other repair program.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

He has already tried CCleaner and msconfig without success.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Riazhack

Riazhack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

It still wont let me delete them, even through "regedit". but it wont only not let me delete them, it wont let me modify the binary values (just tried to see if it worked), and it wont let me change the directory the file is supposed to be in...

Anyway, i think im just gonna re-install windows, cause its way too buggy, it wont let me uninstall some programs either

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:09 AM

You may have to change the premissions in the reistry. riight click then select properties.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users