Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 ult trial to win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 imwright1985

imwright1985

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

I have windows 7 trial currently installed on my laptop (just to get it running and see if i liked 7 or would rather go to XP, and like 7). I bought it and am trying to install the real win7 but it isnt allowing an upgrade to overwrite the windows files. Its looking like the only thing i can do is wipe everything out, reset my partitions and install 7 from ground 0. The software i run on my laptop took me about 3 days of working to get it loaded up (3 drafting platforms, an analysis program, visual studio, and some personal software) I dont want to have to go through with reinstalling everything but its looking like i may have to unless there is some registry file i can use or replace some of the trial files manually with full files and just update the product key. I tried just updating product key and that didnt end my trial countdown either

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

no you will have to do a clean install and you would be better off just doing it anyway, you could try a system backup in win. 7 that might save your files but im not sure if it will back up your programs.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 imwright1985

imwright1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

that stinks, hopefully someone can come along and knows of a way to save it. If not atleast it will clean up my computer a little

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

No, you must do a clean install. There is no other viable option. Make sure you backup your data before doing so.

Good luck. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 28 February 2010 - 05:10 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

If by trial you mean Windows 7 RC, see here: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/index....showtopic=39178

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

Clean install. And do you mean that you installed Windows 7 off of the install disk and just didnt entera product ID and then started using it. If you are not using the beta i think there is a way to activate it i know there is one in XP and Vista. If when you startup the computer it says something along the lines of activate Windows then all you will have to do is input in your real windows 7 product code and you are good to go. but if you are still using the Beta im sure some people still are then you will have to do a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users