Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Book Not Connecting at All...HELP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thedonzarelli

thedonzarelli

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hello,

I am hoping to find a cure here, before I have to overpay for data retrieval. I have a 500g WD My Book, which has worked fine for over 1.5 years. Recently, my CPU froze (Pentium 4 3ghz processor, Windows XP Service Pack 3) and had to hold power button to shut it down. Since then, I am unable to get not just this CPU, but any of my other CPUs to even recognize the hard drive. I have tried connecting it via eSATA, USB (on different ports), and Firewire. The hard drive itself has the LED light on the front go from solid (booting up) to a quick flash (almost every 2 seconds or so). I tried disabling/enabling the ports, etc. Nada!

I have literally a ton of files on this thing (valuable lesson in having separate DVD backup). I would appreciate any help that you all could provide, I had major CPU issues a while back and this place was great.

Thanks so much,
Dante

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

Well...I'm sure you know this, but I believe that those drives are only werranteed for 1 year. Compare that to the fact that a regular hard drive which you might buy and put in an enclosure...is going to probably have at least a 3-year warranty.

What you describe as your PC freezing...may have been the system having problems with a drive that was on its way out.

I would remove the drive itself from the enclosure it came in...and try to find out if the problem lies with the enclosure or the drive itself.

You can run a hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive itself...to see if it is functional/dysfunctional. I would do that after removing the drive from the USB enclosure it came in.

In case the external drive is under warranty...consider running the diagnostic and forget about removing the hard drive from the enclosure. Doing so probably voids your warranty for that product.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users