Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desk Icons

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 annie111

annie111

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hope someone can help me.
Don't know what I have done but all my desktop Icons have changed,the symbol is now Adobe icon. When i try to open any of them up it just trys to open adobe up and not the actual page.(eg: an icon that says norton 360 but with a picture of adobe on,opens up as adobe and not norton 360).. I have taken the Adobe completely out from add and remove programmes and my icons have gone back to normal. But when i re install adobe it goes back to these icons with the adobe symbol on. I am going to need adobe reinstalling but cant do this while its doing this. Can anyone throw any light on what i am doing wrong/

( sorry it sounds long winded but its the only way i can explain what is wrong).. Thank you .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hmmm....that is a very unique problem that I have never heard of before. Thanks for being detailed in your problem description. It makes it much easier to help somebody when a clear problem is stated.

Here is my first piece of advice:

Install Adobe again. Assuming the icons do the screwy thing again, download and install Revo Uninstaller and do an "Advanced" uninstall of Adobe using Revo. It will run Adobe's uninstaller, then scan your computer for leftovers from the application (registry keys, files, etc...). Delete everything it finds. Finish inside Revo and close it.

Restart your computer. Then try installing Adobe again. Hopefully clearing everything out with Revo will keep that icon problem from happening again. I make no guarantees, but it is the first thing you should try. It's fixed problems similar to that for me (programs screwing things up).

Let me know how it goes. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 annie111

annie111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Tried what you said,but it didnt work. I uninstalled with revo uninstaller. But as soon as i reinstalled adobe after re booting all the icons came back with adobe on them.
Any thing else i could try?

Thanks.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

I am at a loss. :huh:

Was this computer upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista? If so, that could explain the issue....I do not recommend in-place upgrades. :huh:

#5 annie111

annie111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

No its already on windows 7. And for some reason or another the Icons just changed tonight to adobe ones. I have done a system restore but not done the trick..

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

I don't really know then.

I have a couple questions though....

I'm assuming this is a valid, legal copy of Adobe? Is it Adobe Acrobat or something, or is it just Adobe Reader?

I would recommend scanning for malware, just to take that possibility out of the equation.

Download, update, and do a full scan with MalwareBytes. Then do the same with Super Antispyware. Let me know if anything comes up. If anything does, I will send you to the Malware Removal sub-forum.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

You must have opened a program and/or file using Adobe ..with a check mark in the square box to "always open with".

example:
Posted Image

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

That is a possibility, but I don't think it shouldn't happen with all the programs. :huh:

Annie, can you post a screenshot of your Desktop?

I'm curious to see these icons.....

Edited by keyboardNinja, 28 February 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#9 The EE

The EE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

I have a similar problem and nobody at my installation has a clue to resolving it. Over the weekend all of my desktop folders (which, so far as I know, were the default choice) changed to folders with things sticking out. Some of these things almost make sense. For example, if a folder has a picture in it, then the new folder has what some people might consider to be film negatives sticking out. If it has a pdf then the two pages that stick out of the folder have the acrobat icon on them. Most of the folders have what looks to be blank pieces of paper sticking out.

I didn't ask for this and want my default icons back.

Other bizarre behavior related to this:
1. As far as I can tell, only folders on the desktop changed
2. If I create a new folder it looks right until I put something in it. They it switches to having stuff sticking out.
3. the disk drive icons are ok.
4. icons for individual files are ok.
5. Recycle bin is okay.
6. Both shortcuts to folders and real folders on the desktop went stupid on me.

I've tried right clicking the desktop, clicking personalize, clicking Change desktop icons, Apply, with no visible effect.

I want my default icons back. Any suggestions?

#10 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

I have a similar problem and nobody at my installation has a clue to resolving it. Over the weekend all of my desktop folders (which, so far as I know, were the default choice) changed to folders with things sticking out. Some of these things almost make sense. For example, if a folder has a picture in it, then the new folder has what some people might consider to be film negatives sticking out. If it has a pdf then the two pages that stick out of the folder have the acrobat icon on them. Most of the folders have what looks to be blank pieces of paper sticking out.

I didn't ask for this and want my default icons back.

Other bizarre behavior related to this:
1. As far as I can tell, only folders on the desktop changed
2. If I create a new folder it looks right until I put something in it. They it switches to having stuff sticking out.
3. the disk drive icons are ok.
4. icons for individual files are ok.
5. Recycle bin is okay.
6. Both shortcuts to folders and real folders on the desktop went stupid on me.

I've tried right clicking the desktop, clicking personalize, clicking Change desktop icons, Apply, with no visible effect.

I want my default icons back. Any suggestions?

Actually hijacking a thread like this is not nice, but you might try disabling Thumbnail Previews, and see if that gets you any closer.
Icons in Windows 7 are supposed to look different than in XP, otherwise it would be XP.

Thumnail Previews

Edited by AustinTerry, 11 August 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#11 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

is this a fresh install of windows 7?

Does the adobe bit version match your windows 7 bit version? eg 64 bit and 64 bit?

#12 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

is this a fresh install of windows 7?

Does the adobe bit version match your windows 7 bit version? eg 64 bit and 64 bit?

Now that you mention that, I don't think Adobe has came out with a 64bit version.

#13 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Win 7 seems to be a bit touchy about program conflicts. When installing, was your antivirus disabled? You might want to try disabling as much as possible. I'm not sure what you can disable in N360, but there is Insight, Auto-protect, and Sonar that could be affecting the installation.

#14 The EE

The EE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

>Actually hijacking a thread like this is not nice, but you might try disabling Thumbnail Previews, and see if that gets you any closer.
Icons in Windows 7 are supposed to look different than in XP, otherwise it would be XP.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by hijacking a thread, but the solution worked. Thanks.

#15 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by hijacking a thread, but the solution worked. Thanks.

It is always best to start your own topic, so as the people trying to help don't mixed up on who they are trying to help.
And also, your issue was not even the same as the original poster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users