Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows fades to white

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lspiering

lspiering

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

I am a new user using an at&t air card in a dell desktop running windows 7. Internet explorer often fades to white and freezes requiring me to force shutdown and restart my computer. I downloaded firefox and this does not happen when I am browsing with firefox. I am getting ready to take my computer in to be serviced but if there is something I can do to fix this problem I would love to save the money.

Edited by lspiering, 28 February 2010 - 12:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

In my honest opinion, Internet Explorer (IE) is a pretty crappy browser. I use Firefox exclusively and love it, but when I am forced to use IE, I do not enjoy it. Pages always load slow, and with IE 8, every page has to run in "compatibility mode". It's like they tried to make the browser more "advanced" while only making it harder to use. Firefox is just WAY better.

As to why you get the unresponsiveness and the whitening screens (I know what you're talking about, as I get them occasionally), I'm not really sure. Does it only happen with IE or does it happen with other programs, as well? (word processor, music player, etc...) If IE is the only thing that this happens with, just continue to use Firefox and forget about it. If it happens with other programs too, then your problem might be deeper than just a crappy browser.

Could you post the specs of your system? RAM, processor, etc...

Use Speecy if you don't know any of your computer's specifications. :huh:

Did you clean install Windows 7 or was it an upgrade from Vista?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

This usually happens due to an internet connection issue or a toolbar/browser helper object not loading.

#4 lspiering

lspiering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

I have a a Dell Inspiron 537 desktop, Pentium R dual core processor cpu, 4.00 GB ram, 64 bit operating system windows 7 operating system that I upgraded from vista, and yes it does happen on on other programs like microsoft office and at&t communication manager. could this be related to the air-card that I am using in a desk top? I am at a temp residence and unable to get cable

Edited by lspiering, 28 February 2010 - 02:50 PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

or a toolbar/browser helper object not loading

Most likely.

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 lspiering

lspiering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

Didn't freeze but internet explorer stopped working and restarted about 3 minutes into browsing, looks like I might just stick with firefox

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Didn't freeze but internet explorer stopped working and restarted about 3 minutes into browsing, looks like I might just stick with firefox

Looks to me like you are infected with something.

#8 lspiering

lspiering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

thanks everyone

Edited by lspiering, 28 February 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

I agree with cryptodan it sounds like a infection. I always keep two browsers so if a problem starts with one I can use the other to go on line for help. I have to keep I.E. for secure web sites that will only except I.E. for what ever reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users