Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RunOnce virus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terabin

terabin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:05 AM

So my computer has been freezing up within five minutes or less after loading up. I generally get an error message such as UMDDFAPI.EXE - application error, with the explanation, "The instruction at '0x8c80d189' referenced memory at '0xfc85c6ft', the memory could not be read". I click on OK and the computer starts to freeze. A blue screen comes up with "Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" as the error. Loading up my computer again, I check the Tasklist and it says that a RunOnce program is running. If I try to stop the process, the computer freezes. If I let it run, it goes to the blue screen. I've gone into safemode and done a Norton Antivrus check and it doesn't solve the problem. I've also tried the Spybot and Adaware programs. But maybe the problem isn't a virus, but something wrong with the memory? I have no idea.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

Without the exact information about the page fault,it is hard to diagnose the problem. In most cases, this kind of error message will happen if you have bad drivers or a hardware malfunction. In your case, an educated guess would be bad RAM. If you have two RAM cards installed, removing one at a time might tell you which (if either) is the culprit.
Regards,
John

See the MS information here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....a4f1498.xml.asp

Edited by jgweed, 09 September 2005 - 09:57 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

You can check your memory by downloading a program called Memtest86.
It is a free download. It requires that you create a boot disk.
I would recommend that you let it run overnight.

http://www.memtest86.com/

This will let you know if you have a problem with the memory(RAM) in your computer.

I found no reference to the file - UMDDFAPI.EXE.
Perhaps you should post a log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum

Before you do, please read: -How to submit a Hijackthis Log

Post again with the results of the memory scan.

Good-luck,

JC :thumbsup:
JC

#4 terabin

terabin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:03 PM

It's not a memory problem after running the memtest. I've also downloaded updated versions of Adaware, Symantec, Microsoft Anti-Virus Beta, and Spybot. Yet, even though I find stuff, nothing is getting rid of whatever is troubling my computer.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

Well we have eliminated two possibilities. The next step would be to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card; you may find these drivers at the manufacturer's site. Have you recently changed any hardware?
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 September 2005 - 07:02 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users