Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp won't boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JewSanta

JewSanta

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

Last night I was helping my friend back up his files from his computer. I pulled his hard drive and made it a slave drive in my computer. I hit the power button and all of the sudden my screen looked like something out of the matrix. I took his hard drive out and plugged my cd drive back in. I am fairly concerned that I just fried my mobo because my hard drive was a sata drive and his wasnt. Now my computer has alot of dashes across the screen and has a few colorful lines.

I can take some pictures to upload if you guys need to see what it looks like.
Please help before my mom kills me D:

Thanks a ton,

Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like the video driver might have become corrupted
I would reinstall it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JewSanta

JewSanta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Sounds like the video driver might have become corrupted
I would reinstall it

I tried to boot it with no drives plugged in at all and I got the same issue. Would I need xp install disks to re do the driver?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

I tried to boot it with no drives plugged in at all and I got the same issue. Would I need xp install disks to re do the driver?

You did not provide us with much info about your system. Therefore it's not really possible to point you in the right direction.

Please provide the following:

Brand name and model number of the system (if it is prebuilt model) or motherboard Manufacture's name and model # if custom made.

Video graphics adapter info. (very important)

Using the Windows XP disk might help, but it is better to find your graphics card's drivers and install those instead.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 JewSanta

JewSanta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

You did not provide us with much info about your system. Therefore it's not really possible to point you in the right direction.

Please provide the following:

Brand name and model number of the system (if it is prebuilt model) or motherboard Manufacture's name and model # if custom made.

Video graphics adapter info. (very important)

Using the Windows XP disk might help, but it is better to find your graphics card's drivers and install those instead.

Sorry to have been so vague.

Its a Dell Dimension 3100 and the cards on board. I cant get to a splash screen even. I turn it on and get dashes

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

There are two types of dell demension models 3100 and 3100E I believe this link below covers both.

The link below also shows a picture of what your tower should look like if your model number is correct, if it is your system, then this is the right drivers page.

This link will bring you to the 3100 drivers page, there are 7 video related drivers on the bottom of this list. Click the arrows to expand each catagory for the drivers version numbers and downloads.

Below is a clickable link. I hope this link as posted here brings you directly to your Dell 3100 drivers page.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Please post back and let us know if your problem has been resolved.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 February 2010 - 10:53 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 JewSanta

JewSanta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

Let me correct something I forgot to include which is an important thing. I am on my laptop. My desktop cant even get to a dell splash screen.

Its a 3100 not e.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

Let me correct something I forgot to include which is an important thing. I am on my laptop. My desktop cant even get to a dell splash screen.

Its a 3100 not e.

Ok, so what you need to do is buy or borrow another grapics card.

Install the card and boot the PC, it should still boot regardless of whether the drivers are installed or not.

Lets us know if the computer goes past the splash screen and loads windows.

I realize your origional graphics adapter is on-board the motherboard, so you might have to enter your BIOS setup utility and enable an add-on adapter.

Make sure monitor is connected to the add-on cards video port.

You can download the drivers from Dell and save them to a disk on your laptop, then transfer the drivers to your Dell 3100.

Please post back and let us know how this worked out.

#9 JewSanta

JewSanta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

I plugged in a video card and turned it on and it went to a fully black screen and white writing said:

NVIDIA TNT2 model 63 vga bios
Version 2.05.20.02.00
copy write
32,0mb of ram

I hit f12 and f10 and f8 and f2 and all the other f keys to get somewhere and it didnt move.

What now?

#10 JewSanta

JewSanta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

So a small update on the situation. I tried booting it again nand it got to the dell splash screen. Then to the windows loading screen, once there it blue screened and game me an error that read irql_not_equal_or_less. I restarated and it sat at the other screen (I repeated this multiple times) Advice?

#11 JewSanta

JewSanta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

So, I decided to pull the ram and found out that one of my sticks was corrupted. I booted and had to add a 2nd monitor on but, I did fix it.

Thanks for all the help!

~Josh

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

So, I decided to pull the ram and found out that one of my sticks was corrupted. I booted and had to add a 2nd monitor on but, I did fix it.

Thanks for all the help!

~Josh

Glad to see you found the problem and resolved it.

We all learned from your experience!

Thanks for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users