Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP ANTIVIRUS 2010 - HELP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#1 msbuddymom

msbuddymom

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

I have a second computer that i use only for the internet as the one i am on is for work purposes. i am using this to get help. i was infected with 2010 virus and have looked through all your forums and nothing matches mine. here goes nothing....hp pavilion dv8000 running xp. finally was able to do a system restore and got virus off, i thought. then a couple of days later it comes back. now here is where mine doesn't match anything. i will turn my computer on and i get either a black screen or a white screen and nothing works, not even the power button i have to unplug the computer. can someone please help me with this??? i cannot even do any of the logs that you ask for. i am not very computer literate so layman's terms would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

buddymom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hi and welcome to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum,

I am thcbytes and I am here to help you!

I ask that you refrain from running tools other than those I suggest to you while I am cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.

Please perform all steps in the order received and do not proceed if you need clarification.

Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems please stop and tell me about it. When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide you with detailed suggestions for prevention.

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. By doing this and then choosing Immediate E-Mail notification and then clicking on Proceed you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

After 5 days if your topic is not replied I we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.

I would also like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please be courteous and appreciative for the assistance provided!

Again I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so. Your computer fix will be based on the current condition of your computer! Any changes might delay my ability to help you.

==========

Do this first....

Please go here and create a Recovery Console CD. Just click the link provided there to download the recovery_console_cd.zip and unzip that to your desktop.

Then inside the recovery_console_cd folder that created locate and click on the IE icon titled Readme. This will open a webpage, which will provide the simple steps you will need to follow, as well as a clickable link to go to the MS download page where you can select the BootDisk file download appropriate for your operating system. For example, for an XP SP2 Home Edition you would be downloading WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe.

For emergency boot disk uses, as well as to access the Recovery Console, the SP2 version can also be used on systems that have the SP3 upgrade.
  • Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

• When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
  • Type the green bolded one line at a time and press Enter after entering each line.
chkdsk /r

fixboot

fixmbr

Type Y to continue in response to the scary disclaimer that will pop up.

Type exit and press Enter.
Reboot.

Success?

Thanks,
~t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#3 msbuddymom

msbuddymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

Thank you. I downloaded to the desktop the two things. the only problem when i go to recoverycd.bat my computer it comes back and says that recoverycd is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. i went to windows explorer to look where i could click on it and could not find it. i run mozilla firefox on this computer. i am very computer illiterate. i can follow step by step directions and i did figure out how to get to the command prompt by searching for it.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\theresa dalessandro>recoverycd.bat
'recoverycd.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\theresa dalessandro>

i am at a loss right now. and i thank you for any help you can give me.

t

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hang in there. thumbup2.gif

i am very computer illiterate

No problem. Take your time. If you don't understand then just say so and I will help you.

We have lot's of options. Do you have a Windows XP install disc by chance? It does not have to be the install disc that came with your computer. If someone has one at work that you could borrow that would be fine also.

Even a Vista or Windows 7 install disc would work.

In regards to the recovery console errors.

Try this...
  • Right click and delete the recovery_console_cd.zip
  • Re- download it to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Right click and extract that zipped folder to a new folder on your desktop
  • Re-download WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Pro-BootDisk-ENU.exe and place it in the new folder you just created
  • Right click and name WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Pro-BootDisk-ENU.exe BootDisk.exe
  • Double click RecoveryCD.bat from within the new folder you created and follow the rest of the instructions outlined in the hyperlinked web page

Success?
Answer to questions please.

Thanks,
~ t

Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

#5 msbuddymom

msbuddymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

i am so sorry it took me so long to respond. i kept looking for an e-mail. none and i went to options and got an error message. so i'll just keep looking here. not a problem. well i have the cd burned. should i just follow the rest of your original e-mail instructions???? don't worry i have the other computer off unplugged and i'm not touching it till you tell me to. just waiting for your response.

thanks so much.

t

#6 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

i am so sorry it took me so long to respond

No rush. Take your time.

i kept looking for an e-mail. none and i went to options and got an error message. so i'll just keep looking here.

Did you do this??
CODE
In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. By doing this and then choosing Immediate E-Mail notification and then clicking on Proceed you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

should i just follow the rest of your original e-mail instructions????

Please follow the instructions from here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1652622
Starting with inserting the CD and restarting your computer to boot from the CD you created.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks
Posted Image

#7 msbuddymom

msbuddymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:20 AM

well according to options i am already signed up. i just put the cd in and got black screen only nothing else. i unplugged it cause power key will not turn it off. i got a white screen. but nothing else. any thoughts???? thanks again.

t

#8 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Ok.

Now reboot the computer with the disc in and see if it will boot from the CD. If it does not immediately begin to boot from the CD then turn off the computer again and restart it. This time as soon as you restart the computer begin to rapidly tap the F2 key. If that fails then repeat the process with the F8, F10, F12, & Esc keys sequentially.

Success?
Posted Image

#9 msbuddymom

msbuddymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

tried all the keys as you said rebooting each time and nothing........anything else we can try????

t

#10 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

Hi,

We have lot's of options. Do you have a Windows XP install disc by chance? It does not have to be the install disc that came with your computer. If someone has one at work that you could borrow that would be fine also.

Even a Vista or Windows 7 install disc would work.

Do you have an install disc?

Posted Image

#11 msbuddymom

msbuddymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

i don't have any access to an install disk. the hp does not have one and my dell laptop came with it already installed so no disks were needed. i am kind of retired so i have no workplace to go to. my dell laptop is for my home business that i do sometimes, not very often at all. any other thoughts?????

#12 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

With the disk in the drive please restart. Do you get the prompt?
Press any key to boot from CD or DVD

If not then please take out the disk from the sick computer and place it in your healthy computer. Reboot and see if you can boot from it on the healthy computer.
Posted Image

#13 msbuddymom

msbuddymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

the disk is in the drive when i reboot and did all the fkeys and i get absolutely nothing. it was a white screen today. but can be white or black. will try what you said right now.

t

#14 msbuddymom

msbuddymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

well unfortunately it didn't do anything in my healthy computer either. i followed the directions. told you i was computer illiterate.

will be gone for a little bit have to get more cd's. anything else we can try????

thanks t

#15 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Don't worry. I am not going anywhere. I will do the best I can to get you up and running again. thumbup2.gif

Based on you inabilty to boot that CD on the cl wink.gif :whistle:ean computer I would surmise that the problem is related to the burning of the CD.

Take your time and try this. If you don't understand stop and tell me about it.
After you have successfully burned the OTLPE ISO to disc you will need to transfer the disc to the CD drive of your sick computer and boot from it.
  • Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
  • If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
    • Your PC should now boot from your CD.
    • Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
  • Please be patient as "Windows" loads
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Under "Extra Registry" please check "Use Safelist" and also check "LOP Check" and "Purity Check" as pictured.
    • Copy and Paste the following code into the textbox. Do not include the word "Code"

Please note: Double click the Firefox Icon on the desktop to connect to this thread if you have a Wired connection otherwise you can use a flash drive and copy this script into a txt file from a clean computer to transfer to this computer.

CODE
      netsvcs
      msconfig
      safebootminimal
      safebootnetwork
      activex
      drivers32
      %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\*.
      %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\*.exe /s
      %APPDATA%\*.
      %APPDATA%\*.exe /s
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
      /md5start
      eventlog.dll
      scecli.dll
      netlogon.dll
      cngaudit.dll
      sceclt.dll
      ntelogon.dll
      logevent.dll
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      IdeChnDr.sys
      viasraid.sys
      AGP440.sys
      vaxscsi.sys
      nvatabus.sys
      viamraid.sys
      nvata.sys
      nvgts.sys
      iastorv.sys
      ViPrt.sys
      eNetHook.dll
      ahcix86.sys
      KR10N.sys
      nvstor32.sys
      ahcix86s.sys
      /md5stop
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    • Push
    • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
    • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your next reply.
    • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have an internet connection.

Success??

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users