Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Forum Member

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RoseKidcats

RoseKidcats

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:57 AM

My name is Rose, (I’m 53 years young), and even though I bought my first pc in 1984, I know next to nothing about correcting problems when they arise. Over the years, I’ve visited a great many pc help sites only to find the ‘helpers’ speak a language of their own…with the assumption that the helpee will automatically know what they are talking about. So I couldn’t believe what I was reading when Bleeping Computer came up in a Google search - a pc site for novices. Wow!! I’ve Needed a forum like this for the last 20 years!

Looking forward to getting to know you all - well! :thumbsup:
Rose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

Welcome to BC!
You will find our members keep things on as simple a level as possible, since they are all users and realize that not everyone has expertise or experience in every aspect of computing.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 RoseKidcats

RoseKidcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:00 AM

Hi John,

Appreciate your taking the time to welcome me and the other new forum members that have joined. I’ve been spending time reading the boards and tutorials and have to say, you all have a Lot of Great info already posted for us newcomers.

I’ve taken advantage of Grinler’s excellent post titled, ‘Simple steps to keep your computer secure!’ by downloading Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster. I also made the suggested IE security changes so I think I’m ready to tackle my Winfixer popup. Before reading Grinler’s post, I thought I was protected from this type of infection because I’ve got AVG and Zone Alarm Firewall installed. Yikes, was I wrong on that score…

Ole cat learning new tricks, :thumbsup:
Rose

#4 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:29 AM

Welcome RoseKidcats!

You are at the best forum on the planet!

Computers are complex and most users need help, no matter what someone thinks they knew yesterday. Today is a new day. I have been all over, but Bleeping ROCKS! I have spent many years fixing computers and there is always something new to learn.

Bleeping members care sooooo much!

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:11 AM

I am really happy, Rose, that not only did you read a tutorial, but you took some positive steps to keep your computer secure because of it. Computer security is a real issue today, because we tend to use our computer to store private records and transact business. Every layer of protection makes you safer, and one of the key layers is user knowledge!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! RoseKidcats.
Yes computer is a must. I read in a PC magazine article about how most people will end up running more maintance programs than doing whatever else they would want to do on a computer.

Good Luck,
yanowhiz

#7 RoseKidcats

RoseKidcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

Thank you all for the Warm Welcome. I’ve spent much time reading the helpful posts here and Yes, I’ve learned a lot!

I have bouts of agoraphobia, and during those times, my pc is my Only link to the outside world. I’ll never understand Why someone would want to do harm to me by corrupting it with viruses, worms, etc. Hopefully, with the help I’ve received here that won’t be a problem in the future.

Best Regards,
Rose

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:21 AM

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer Rose. Thank you for posting hello to us.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users