Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 9.10 Versus 9.04 Netbook

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

I have 2 downloads of Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope and 9.10 Karmic Koala. After trying to install either of these to my netbook using a partitioned drive I get no results.

9.04 Jaunty runs fine from the live CD but upon trying to install I go through a loop to an eventual black screen with a blinking cursor line which just sits there. I tried to use this version because the Broadcom drivers do work in 9.04 for my HP Mini 110-1025 netbook. (Tried loading 3 times)

Trying to install the 9.10 Karmic Koala Netbook Remix gives me no better results and the Broadcom drivers do not work but the Live CD again, will work (without the Broadcom drivers). I still tried to install but it goes through a 20-30 min process where it eventually (at the end I assume) just loads in Windows 7, the original OS. (Tried 5 times)

I am trying my best to get acclimated to Linux but it seems like it's nothing more than a huge headache and one puzzle right after another.

Both versions were MD5 checksumed using Windows XP and the boot was set to CD in the BIOS. For the Netbook Remix do I have to use the flashdrive setup? If so, why does the FlashDrive files load sometimes (using Live CD option) and other times they won't?

I like the cleanliness of Linux Ubuntu but I am seriously hating the failed installations part of it. If it's to ever have ANY hope of seriously competing with Windows as a main OS there needs to be some serious developmental work on user friendliness.

Losing patience here very quickly with Linux!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

I'll let the hardcore Linux users answer your particular queries, because I only use the Live CDs,
but I think this article is well worth reading on Linux generally:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Losing patience here very quickly with Linux!

"If you want an OS that doesn't chauffeur you around, but hands you the keys, puts you in the driver's seat,
and expects you to know what to do: Get Linux. You'll have to devote some time to learning how to use it,
but once you've done so, you'll have an OS that you can make sit up and dance."

Edited by petewills , 28 February 2010 - 11:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users