Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Cheap Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

I have need of some very expensive software (Adobe Creative Suite Premium) and am looking for a more affordable way to buy it. Quite frankly, I don't have $1800 to spend.

I'm submitting some paperwork to Adobe to see if I can qualify for the academic version (and so far, it looks good) but as I understand it, the academic versions are one time shots and I would not be able to purchase upgraded versions later. It makes sense: I'd just buy another academic version if it came to that. The academic version (from Adobe) is about $600.

I found some sites online that are selling this package for considerably less.

Software Surplus has it for $730 and a place called Z Tech Software has it for $660.

http://www.ztechsoftware.com/servlet/the-1...-Suite-4/Detail

That's quite a savings, and I'm wondering how they can do that. I want a factory-sealed retail package, that I can register with Adobe and receive updates, and the sort of service I would have if I bought it from them directly.

What's the deal with these people who sell software so far below retail? Is it safe?

I've searched around the internet a bit about ZTech and they seem to be a little slow in responding. I found a thread where a few people complained about slow service and absolutely no response from the company. I wrote them days ago and haven't heard back. I suppose that should be a red flag for me.

Can anybody recommend a cheaper source for software that is fully reliable and sells only top quality software?

I'm debating whether to go with a cheap software dealer, or continue pursuing the academic version. I definitely cannot go the route of buying it for retail price. I just don't have that kind of money to spare.

The reason I need to do this is for years I've been trying to do the job with cheaper programs and right now my CorelDraw X4 is so not working. It's a long story and I've been having trouble with it since their version 12. Corel has no solutions. I have purchased MANY upgrades from them over the past 12 or so years. And I use Paint Shop Pro for photo editing. I am writing a book and need some publishing software. And I do a lot with PDF files. The Adobe Suite has the software I need.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hi littlegreendots, Adobe does sell their software cheaper to certain groups or individuals. The ways I know that are legitimate are:

Charities and Not for Profit Organisations, Museums and Libraries
Schools and Students
Colleges and Universities
Academic Staff
How much cheaper, I have no idea but its worth checking if you can even loosely fit into any of those categories.

Another option is to check to see if you might fit the criteria for any available funding for writers/publishers/a particular area which is covered in the book you are writing. Good luck!
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

I have used this site a few times
http://www.viosoftware.com/adobe.php
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Thanks. However, this issue is resolved. I worked through Adobe and sent them verification of my status as a teacher and they sold me the software with the academic discount. It was shipped yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users