Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive from different pc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:11 AM

If it really is not allowed to install a harddrive that came from different system,why is it I was able to load windows from a harddisk that came from my old motherboard with no bsod?My old and new mobo are both p3.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

No one said it's "not allowed" and it can be done successfully...with either luck or skill or a combination of both.

Considering that most users want simple solutions to their computer problems, it's not something I would suggest. More info on such at:

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/0...creen-of-death/

A side issue is that doing such is a basic conflict with the way that Windows is set up with PA. PA is designed to flag such actions, resulting in the possible notification that an illegal install has taken place.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users