Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my CD/DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CJT87

CJT87

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:11 AM

Hello I'm new here but I found this place hoping I could get some answers about my laptop and the problem I'm having. I'm hoping this is the correct area for this if not please point me in the right direction. Anyway my laptop is a HP Pavillion Entertainment PC DV6500 running on Windows Vista. Anyway I'm having problems with my CD/DVD Drive. My problem is it goes away randomly like earlier I thought it was back I doubled checked by going to my Device Manager and it was there under the 'CD/DVD drive'. Now it wasn't there before I've been having this prob for some time. I had previosuly had my laptop restarted ot was then after the resstart mt CD/DVD drive seemed to come back which I thought was weird. I tried burning a CD and it freaked out and froze my itunes so I went back to my itunes to try again and it didn't work. Couldn't read the CD let alone burn my CD so I thought another restart would change it back after that I went back to my Device Manager and the tab for CD/DVD Drive was gone. This has been happening for a little while but it's gotten worse. I'm not sure how to keep my CD/DVD drive in my device manager. I had a virus but it was removed and I'm not sure if it messed with my settings and its the thing messing with my CD/DVD drive. If you have any knowledge in how to fix this problem and how to get my CD drive to work and stay I would be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!

Edited by CJT87, 28 February 2010 - 05:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

First thing to try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Just click on the Fix It tab
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CJT87

CJT87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

Alright I did the 'fix it' tab thanks for the link. it didn't work though said it couldn't fix it for me just that my CD/Drive is not detected. Any other ideas?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Does it show in the BIOS
You mentioned it's a laptop. Is the mounting screw there and the drive mounted securely?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 CJT87

CJT87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

What's BIOS? It sounds familiar how do I check that? Also what mounting screw? Sorry for the questions just wanna understand this lol

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

What's BIOS? It sounds familiar how do I check that? Also what mounting screw? Sorry for the questions just wanna understand this lol

Which DV6500 do you have I want to look at a pic of it and want to be accurate.

After the numbers 6500 is there the following letters? (See list below)

DV6500CTO
DV6500er
DV6500ew
DV6500t CTO
DV6500z CTO

Once you answer this question, I can pull up the specs on your laptop.

BTW the BIOS is an utility which is entered during boot up by using the keyboard' key sequence offered during BOOTUP such key combinations would be Hit the F2 key to enter setup or Hit the DELETE key to enter setup it usually displays at the bottom or top of screen as the laptop is just starting up at what is called the POST screen. Post stands for Power On Self Test.

The BIOS stands for Basic In/Out System. It controls what goes in-to and what goes out-of in the system's communication Bus network.

Using the correct key stroke allows you to enter the Advanced System BIOS Setup Configuration Utility, where you can change settings and configure hardware. It it there that you will find which drives are connected and are set as active in the system.

The BIOS basically is used to start the computer up, then it hands the system over to Windows, which then takes control of your hardware's configuration and settings from that point on. If something is disabled in the BIOS, it can not be detected by Windows once it loads.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 March 2010 - 12:36 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 CJT87

CJT87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

There are no following letters after it just says HP Pavillion DV6500. Can you pull the specs up from that?

Edited by CJT87, 01 March 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

There are no following letters after it just says HP Pavillion DV6500. Can you pull the specs up from that?

Yes I can, also follow broni's suggestion above.

If broni's suggestions don't work let us know.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 March 2010 - 12:40 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 CJT87

CJT87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

With the CDgone zip how do you get it to merge? Because when I double clicked the zip file two files came up 'cdgone' and 'EditReg' and I right clicked on it and just got open, cut, copy and delete. What am I doing wrong here? lol

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

Right click on cdgone.reg and click "Merge".

WARNING!!! This suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#12 CJT87

CJT87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

That sounds really complicated haha Not sure I wanna go the registry route don't wanna mess my comp up more than it already is lol Is there any other way to fix my prob?

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:24 AM

This is simply precaution. There is an extremely slight chance anything will go wrong.
Simply create fresh restore point and run reg file.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 CJT87

CJT87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:14 AM

I don't see cdgonereg the file itself is called cd gone and what's inside only has two files 'cdgone' and 'EditReg'. Am I missing something from this file? lol

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

No, you're fine :thumbsup:
In Windows Explorer, go Tools>Folder options>View tab and UN-check "Hide extensions for known file types".
Now, you'll see cdgone.reg file.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users