Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista sharing issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wollemi

Wollemi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

Hi, Using Vista Home Premium I noticed that my C Drive and everything else is shared, however the network path is not given. I have had trouble with a Troj** and am in the process of sending logs for checking, the T** was quarantined from an external drive/usb from a previous incarnation of my computer. I have done the backup.
Question: Does the back up system ( to an external hard drive) result in what appears to be sharing?
I have tried to change the status to not shared with no success. The special permissions box in many folders is partly shaded and there are lots of files in the Temp Internet Folder which are hidden and I have no access to.

Thanks and apologies if I have posted something discussed elsewhere. Woll.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

What makes you think it's shared?

Are you on a wireless network?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. But if you have an external drive of any kind hooked up it will show as an extra drive when you go to My Computer. For example: my hardrive is C:, my DVD drive is D:, if I plug in my external that becomes E:, and so on.

If you made stuff shareable you'd probably remember doing it, as it isn't exactly a forgettable process.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

What makes you think it's shared?

Are you on a wireless network?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. But if you have an external drive of any kind hooked up it will show as an extra drive when you go to My Computer. For example: my hardrive is C:, my DVD drive is D:, if I plug in my external that becomes E:, and so on.

If you made stuff shareable you'd probably remember doing it, as it isn't exactly a forgettable process.

It is shared by default its called the ADMIN$ Share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_share

#4 Wollemi

Wollemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hi, when R click C Drive Properties/Sharing C Drive is labelled as Shared, although does not give a file sharing path. I am not on a network or wireless and yes, I would remember if I shared the drive. The only thing I have done is use Vista back up and restore recently for the first time (I usually copy over to an external storage device) and wonder if it changed share settings. Its the only possible thing I can attribute to the change, and I cannot find ways to unshare. I do have a partitioned hard drive, but dont run any other OS on the other drive. A public folder keeps appearing in Users, and when I delete it, it reappears next start up. I will endeavour to get my logs posted asap as it could be related. I have been concerned about my comp being open and available to all when I am connected to the web. (only dial up) Thanks for responding. Woll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users