Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete a file

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jak6

Jak6

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:16 AM

McAfee [FAILS] keeps flagging it as a PUP and I can't seem to delete the file so it will stop annoying me with the stupid PUP window.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

if it came with a game, then most likely the only way to uninstall it would be to uninstall the game. IF you delete it without uninstalling the game, then the game will most likely not run correctly. Mcafee should have a ignore feature on there if your absolutly sure the file is part of the game, and not a virus or other malware that hiding within the game.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Jak6

Jak6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:53 AM

I have searched for an ignore feature and it is not there you must send it in to McAfee and they will 'clear' it and send you a file to run which will apparently add it to the safe list or just say it will stay flagged.

The file is a 'gamespy.url' file and is being flagged for [Will get back to you on this I am trying to copy some files and can't open my disc drive to make the window pop up again]
I can't delete the file, change the extension, nothing.

Edited by Jak6, 28 February 2010 - 03:02 AM.

#4 Jak6

Jak6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:40 AM

The file is a 'gamespy.url' file and is being flagged for [Will get back to you on this I am trying to copy some files and can't open my disc drive to make the window pop up again]
I can't delete the file, change the extension, nothing.

Adware-Url.gen is what it's calling it

Also since I can't gain access to the file I cannot send it in to get un-flagged. I haven't however tried playing the game yet to see if it works even though it is flagged, I am thinking it would work fine.

Edit
I disabled McAfee completely and was able to gain access to the file and have sent it in. If I require any further help I will post again.
Thank you!

Edited by Jak6, 28 February 2010 - 03:51 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Gamespy is adware.

#6 Con10119

Con10119

• Banned Spammer
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

you could try using this deletion software called eraser, you just install it and right click the file you want to delete and then it will ask if you want to erase, and then click yes. Also when you are deleting the file right click the one you want to delete

also make sure all the boxes are unticked and click on advanced and make sure they are unticked such as file 'read only' and 'index this folder...' then delete it.

Get back to me on my forum Utraz.com and let me know if this resolved the issue if not i can help you with some other options to delete it

Moderator Edit~ please do not refer our members to another site for help they asked for HERE. If a member posts here for help, here is where they expect to get it. Thank you :huh:

here is the link to the eraser software forgot to put link in http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/

Edited by Pandy, 01 March 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#7 Jak6

Jak6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

Sorry I forgot to post back here, when I figured out how to gain access to the file [turning off McAfee] I was able to delete it after they refused to help me at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users