Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new monitor!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CluelessGamer

CluelessGamer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

Manual says "Do not place the LCD monitor near a window. Exposing monitor to sunlight can severely damage it."

Now, I have a problem. My computer desk is placed directly under a window, with the BACK (NOT the screen) of the monitor facing the window. I don't usually get a lot of direct sunlight, as I always have the blinds drawn. But as this monitor cost me an entire week's pay, I don't wanna risk it. Figured I'd ask you guys before rearranging my whole room. Is some minor (but daily) sun exposure to the back of my monitor gonna break it? I mean, beyond the expected gradual weakening of any plastic from prolonged UV exposure. SHOULD I rearrange my whole room ASAP to get away from the sun? Or is it more like a "we say this so you don't sue us later" kinda warning? Just wanted y'all's opinions before I panic. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:26 AM

Is it the caution that commonly appears in Acer manuals?

"Do not place the LCD Monitor near a window. Exposing the monitor to rain water, moisture or sunlight can severely damage it."

If so, it seeks to cover possible harm the monitor could suffer if located near a window. The most serious damage would be if the window was left open during rain and the monitor got wet. Over the longer term, the plastic could also deteriorate from UV, as you mention. That may only be minor for the casing, but remember the surface of the LCD panel is also transparent plastic in most panels, and much sunlight could cause yellowing or clouding of this over time. If the monitor faces away from the window and blinds are usually drawn, I would think "severe damage" is unlikely to occur from the sunlight. But if the window is ever left open, remember what a storm could do!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:03 AM

well another thing to keep in mind-if it gets really hot in the summer time, and you keep your shades open it could cause over heating as well. Personally, I dont think setting it there will kill it, at least not right away, but I think I would try to get it away from the window if possible or put some good curtains up. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 CluelessGamer

CluelessGamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Thank you both for your help, that clears things up. And yes, that's Acer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users