Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Win Explorer Double Clicks Give Long Error - No Assoc Program??

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 triaque

triaque

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hi,
I need help figuring out why my XP professional installation no longer allows me to double click on CD or DVD drives without giving me this error: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

I have tinkered around in the options in Folder Options, File Associations, under Control Panel, with no luck.

Please help....

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hello :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your problem:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or not recognized by Windows or other programs, so you cannot play or access a CD or DVD. This issue might have occurred after you installed, uninstalled, or updated a program or Windows Vista.

APPLIES TO
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Reply back with whether this resolves your issue or not.

If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#3 triaque

triaque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

Hi,
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, your suggestion does not apply to this situation. I am able to access the CD and the DVD drive by right clicking on them and choosing "EXPLORE". If a just double click on the drive icons I get the message in quotations from my original post.

Thanks

#4 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hello :thumbsup:
I searched the Microsoft site and was not able to find anything else.
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

What type of files are you double-clicking on?

Did you bother to check the file extension of said file...via Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types ?

Sometimes...doing what the error message suggests...is all that is required.

Louis

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Contents of Windows XP CD Autorun.inf are like this :
[AutoRun]
open=setup.exe
icon=setup.exe,0
So when you double click, you intend to run setup.exe on your XP CD. If Windows cannot find association, it means EXE files are not associated.

Download this file. Right click on it and select Install. Its a trick. It wont install anything but fix EXE file associations in XP.

Edited by Romeo29, 28 February 2010 - 06:50 PM.

#7 triaque

triaque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi,

I do GREATLY appreciate all ya'll replies. I must not be making my observations of what is going on clear.

I can put any CD into either of my optical drives. I am not concerned with the "Auto Run" features on installation CD's. Nor am I concerned with the" Which Action To TAke Next" Window.

Here is my problem:

Any optical media disc that i insert into either optical drive cannot be accessed in Windows Explorer or "My Computer" by double Clicking on the DRIVE icons. I get a nasty message about the XP PRO OS not haveing a file association with the file I am trying to open. ALAS! I'm not trying to open a file. I simply want to double click to view the CD.......

The only way I can veiw the contents of any of my optical media is to right click and click EXPLORE. It takes this extra step when I traditionally have been able to access my optical media drives just by double clicking to view the contents.

PLEASE HELP!!

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

Does it affect only your optical drives, or any drive letter?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

Use CD/DVD fix : http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
Use folder association fix : http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/folder_reg.zip

#10 triaque

triaque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

This problem is specific to the Windows Explorer Icon double click access to ONLY my optical CD or DVD dirve icons. None of the other hard drive icons behave in the same way. They open to eplore the drives just as they have always done. The optical drives do not behave properly and throw up the message about an associated program not being installe or missing.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    autorun.inf
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#12 triaque

triaque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hey Broni,

Thanks for getting involved with my issue and helping me. Please keep in mind as you try and help, that I do not have problems with AUTORUN installer CD's/DVD's or the popup box on insertion of a CD/DVD. The problem I have is being able to double click on the optical drive icons in WinExplorer. When I double click....I get a message dialog pop up exactly the same as what I posted in the first message of this thread.

Thanks for your help. See below for the "System Look" information:

SystemLook v1.0 by jpshortstuff (11.01.10)
Log created at 19:40 on 01/03/2010 by Tony (Administrator - Elevation successful)

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "autorun.inf"
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Memories Disc\coregen\AUTORUN.INF --a--- 44 bytes [18:24 26/02/2002] [18:24 26/02/2002] FF744383A3D2AAB8A2E50AE88E281C02

-=End Of File=-

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Please keep in mind as you try and help, that I do not have problems with AUTORUN installer CD's/DVD's or the popup box on insertion of a CD/DVD. The problem I have is being able to double click on the optical drive icons in WinExplorer.

I fully understand. We checked for AUTORUN.INF, because some malwares will install AUTORUN.INF file in your drive root directory and one of the symptoms is inability to open drives by double clicking on them.
Now, we can see, you're fine here.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 triaque

triaque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Hey Broni,

Thanks for replying. Sorry for being understanding on my need to be sure I am clearly defining the issue. The previous post led me to believe I wasn't doing a good job on that.

So,.....what next?

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

WARNING!!! This suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

Then, try this fix: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/XP_drive_fix.reg

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users