Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lap to lock up when idle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmaze

cmaze

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:35 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 Lap top running windows vista home premium. For about a month now, it has been "locking up" when left idle. It only locks up when left idle. If I am actively using the keyboard or mouse pad, it does not lock up. Its lock up is either no response from clicking, moving the mouse, or hitting the windows key, or I can move pointer, click on something and it goes into the never ending circle indicating the computer is busy (no amount of time allows me to continue without shutting down and restarting). Diagnostics scan indicates no hardware problems. I have been able to run my spyware, antivirus scans (Trend Microsystems)with no indicated problems. Any ideas or suggestions for resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

cmaze

Edited by cmaze, 27 February 2010 - 11:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Do you use standby/hibernate?
Check your power settings. Maybe even set them to never for now
I know this sounds silly, but update your video driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cmaze

cmaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Dear Garmanma:

I was or did not believe I was using standby or hibernate. I went into power options and reset everything to never (hard drive under advanced options had 20 minutes as a default). Hard drive sleep or shutdown is now at never. I still have the problem of locking up. I also went and updated the Nvidia driver, yet still have the lock up problem when the computer is left idle. The time-to-lockup seems longer, and the lock-up initially is a "bogged down state" where mouse pad will accept responses (one or two), before just not being able to accept any more input, although the last lock-up was the same with no response to the mouse pad motions or clicks.

Sincerely,

Christopher

#4 Con10119

Con10119

• Banned Spammer
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Nothing to do with power settings or graphics settings just right click a blank spot on your desktop, go to personalize then to screen saver options.

once your on there you will see it says wait (time) minutes and (a ticked box) On resume, display logon screen

just untick the box and this should fix your problem

Moderator Edit

Edited by Pandy, 01 March 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#5 cmaze

cmaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

Con10119:

the "On resume, display logon screen" was already not ticked, and the lock ups have resumed to the original degree given in my first posting.

Sincerely,
Christopher

Edited by cmaze, 01 March 2010 - 10:48 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

Does your lap top get hot?

#7 cmaze

cmaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Cryptodan:
I can't say I've paid much attention to heat, but just having felt the bottom, just having recovered from a lock-up in which it had been idle for over an hour, it is not hotter than it has been in the past before the problem. When its on your lap it warms your legs less than that of a pizza on the ride home from the pizza shop.

Sincerely,
Christopher

#8 cmaze

cmaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

I have since uninstalled and reinstalled a newer version of the Trend microsystem antivirus package that came with the computer from Dell, as the old one was 07 vintage. Odd that the paid system does not update and upgrade the system automatically when you click update. The lockups when idle continue with the new 2010 software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users