Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't establish internet connection through dialup...


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Magil

Magil

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

I'll be brief and detailed. Bare with me...

I'm a dialup user. Yes. Dialup isn't dead yet... who knew?

My problems started when Zone Alarm Free started taking alot of CPU for no apparent reason and it was getting in the way with other programs. I decided to disable it while offline, but more than often did I forget to turn it back on before connecting to the internet.
As I feared and later discovered, svchost.exe somehow changed it's normal behaviour and started consuming 100% CPU after several insecure online sessions, and always when I was attempting to establish a connection with my ISP. I had several computers display that pattern before, and my usual temporary fix was to manually terminate it from the Task Manager.

Somehow, I decided having to terminate that process every time I turned on my computer was too annoying, and so I decided to do a small google search online to figure out a solution. And so, this little link popped up:

hxxp://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/

I followed the instructions EXACTLY as they guy there described them... however, I encountered a problem in the second to last step:

When Windows Update Agent finishes installing, Click Start > Run, choose the Browse button and find the WindowsXP-KB927891.exe file you saved before, press Open, then OK. Follow the prompts as it installs.


I encountered an error saying that since my OS was in a different language (mine is in spanish), the instalation could not procede.

I immediately quit afterwords, believing that I could simply forget about it as I was conscious enough that I didn't change anything at all in Windows.

... but soon I found out I was terribly wrong.

After performing these supposed "fixes" (which ironically, did not work), I found out that I was incapable of establishing a connection through dialup. After my modem dials and apparently establishes connection, my username and password are being verified by the server... and I get error 691, telling me my username and password are somehow incorrect.

I already tried inputing them again (despite I've had them forever saved in my PC for easy connection), but still nothing. And I did nothing that I'm aware of prior and after the fix attempt that might have caused this problem. I encountered this problem precisely after running the files included in that guide.

I'm kinda pissed off right now because I usually don't fall for the first post I see... but I'm more annoyed to the fact that the guide posted in the link I provided above had absolutely no warnings and covered no other scenarios other than the one that is to be expected, disregarding any issues that may arise like mine. But I digress...

I have Windows XP Professional Edition SP3 installed on my PC. My Windows is a modified version known to some on the web as Windows uE7 (Unattended Edition). Lemme know what you think. If I'm missing any vital information, let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. I just hope that I don't end up having to do a fresh Windows install because I just did one not long ago, and it's annoying as hell just temporarily transfering my files elsewhere.

Thank you in advance. Sincerely,
Magil of the Shadows

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 February 2010 - 08:25 PM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

  • Members
  • 144 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manitoba,Canada
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hello Magil and Welcome to BC, Did you try running system restore, and restore your system back to the way it was before you attempted that fix.Worth a try ,after you can connect to dial/up again then deal with your memory usage problem. cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 27 February 2010 - 10:58 PM.


#3 Magil

Magil
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

Unfortunately and for some reason, from the moment I installed Windows I could not make any restore points because the option was always greyed out, so restoring from a system point is out of the question.

-Magil of the Shadows

#4 Magil

Magil
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

Never mind now. I resolved to format and reinstall Windows... I'd curse you, but it'd be pretty pointless at this point.

-Magil of the Shadows

#5 xblindx

xblindx

  • Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hi, I see you have decided to reformat, however if the issue comes back, the fix that worked for me (I am a DSL user however) was to go to start -> run and type in services.msc then click OK. Find the DNS Client. Right click it and then choose Stop. After that, right click it again and choose Properties, then change the startup type to disabled.
Reboot your computer and you are done :thumbsup:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users