Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have no audio

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 half15

half15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

My computer was having problems where it would keep on reseting its self at the windows xp screen so i reset it to time it was last working right but now for some reason i have no sound i went to my computer makes website downloaded the audio thing and still no luck. When i go sounds and audio devices it says i have no sound device also when i go to device manager and check the sound one it has no question mark or anything. So what should i do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 half15

half15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:26 AM

I have a HP Pavilion a807w hope that helps

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

I would try the original driver first:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...;product=453539
Then the update:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...;product=453539

Did you follow these instructions to install the driver?

Installation Instructions
1. Download the driver package.
2. Double-click on the icon for the driver package downloaded in step 1, and then click NEXT.
3. Accept the terms in the HP license agreement, and then click NEXT.

If your PC uses a Realtek High Definition audio solution, use steps 4 and 5 to complete the update, otherwise skip to step 6 and continue with the remaining steps.

4. Click NEXT at the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Setup window and wait for the update to complete. This may take a few minutes.
5. Click FINISH at the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Setup window to restart the PC.

6. Click OK to continue. The original drivers are now stored in the C:\HP\Drivers\Audio folder.
7. If Device Manager does not start automatically, use the following steps. Otherwise go to step 8:

a. Click Start.

b. Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.

c. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.

8. Click the + (plus) sign next to "Sound, video and game controllers" or "Other devices".
9. Right-click the device you want to update, and then select Update Driver.
10. Click NEXT to install the software automatically
11. Click FINISHED to complete the installation.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 half15

half15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Should i update the one that says legacy audio drivers cause if so it says wizard could not find a better hardware then the software you currently have installed

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, that should be the one
There are others?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 half15

half15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

Yep of course they are called Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices and Video Codecs. Also i'm not sure if this would help but when i look in system devices and look at system speaker it says i have no drivers installed for it

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers are what you should be concerned with

Speakers do not need drivers. They are plug and play
The system speaker is what you hear for the different Windows sounds and BIOS beeps
Mine doesn't have any drivers either

Edited by garmanma, 01 March 2010 - 11:10 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

#8 half15

half15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

Well ok then i actually did try to update those but it said something like it was already up to date i'm not sure exactly what it said and i can't check it since i'm in school so whats else would there be to do

#9 half15

half15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

You can still help me right? I pretty much have no clue whats else to do.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

Look in your BIOS and check that onboard sound is enabled

Try this

1. Click Start and then Run.
2. Type dxdiag in the box and click Ok. Then, please click Yes.
3. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window.
4. Click Music tab and then click TestDirectMusic and then you should hear a music coming from the system. Click Ok to discontinue the music.
5. Click Sound tab and then click TestDirectSound and then click Yes and now you should hear a sound coming from the computer.

Edited by garmanma, 02 March 2010 - 10:33 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users