Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Detective Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joeschmoew

joeschmoew

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Vista, and was unable to get ESPN360 to work. It has in the past. Through a series of technical support queries, it was recommended that I use "Driver Detective" to see that my drivers were up to date. I downloaded it and scanned my computer, and it reported that I have 25 out of date drivers. Before I spend any money, I wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing money away for a program that would cause more problems than solutions. Any feedback from someone who knows about this would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joeschmoew

joeschmoew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Never mind. I just checked PC World and read the customer reviews. Sounds like it's just what I suspected, software that loads malware on your system and doesn't do a thing for your computer. Then, you get the runaround when you try to get help or a refund.

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

Sensible. I imagine those programs will always tell you that you need drivers.

When drivers are freely available from the manufacturer's site, you shouldn't need a third party program.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

...and drivers shouldn't be updated in bunches.
Basically, you think driver update only, when there is something wrong with it.
If everything works, leave drivers alone.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Well said , Broni, if it ain't broke..........!

Rightly or wrongly, I apply the same principle to BIOS updates, having read some horror
stories about flashing the BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users