Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 volsfn

volsfn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

I have an Acer laptop and am having trouble connecting to a wireless router. It shows up in the list of avalible networks, but when i try to connect to it a window pops up and says that it's outta range. It will connect to other networks that are in range, they just aren't strong enuff to run. I'm not very computer literate, but I do know a little bit. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

What version of windows?

Do you use the software that came with the wireless card or Windows? Try using the other and see if you get the same result.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 volsfn

volsfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

I'm running XP. I'm not sure what software its using i never messed with it just started using it and it always worked fine. I was using it on a linksys router before and had to move, but am still trying to connect to a linksys and it wont connect to this one.

#4 Con10119

Con10119

• Banned Spammer
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

This may not work but if you plug your laptop into the wireless router with the ethernet cable (probably yellow). Then give it about 1 minute if you have just plugged it in and then go to the command prompt (start>run> type cmd ) type ipconfig into the command prompt now look for 'default gateway'. And then type whatever number it gives you such as 192.168.1.254 into your web browser.

You then need to look for wireless router settings or anything to do with configuration and make sure you have b&g band selected then make sure your router does not have any additional security features on it.

Edited by Pandy, 01 March 2010 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users