Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

headphone end busted off in headphone jack on laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I have a Hewlett Packard DV5 laptop that has 2 headphone jacks in the front. You can see in this
picture (not exactly the same model but the exterior looks the same.)

I have a SONY SRS-D21 3 piece speaker system that I plug into the headphone jack.

A week or so ago, i unplugged the headphone male end and tried to reach it to my desktop computer below my computer desk and it wouldn't quite
reach, so i tried lifting the desktop up on an angle and it was being held up by the strength of the chord and after only a few minutes of this, it weakend
the headphone male jack end and the tip broke off! I tried gluing it back on and then put it back in my DV5 to see if it would work and it broke off inside
the headphone jack!

I can still listen to music on my DV5, but now only in mono (just the right speaker).

How would i get that little piece of the male headphone end out of the headphone jack hole? (sorry i don't the technical lingo for these things!)
I was thinking some tiny, tiny sturdy tweezers or something. The guy at the local computer place said i was "screwed" and it can't be done. I
can stick a paper clip in there an wiggle that piece around some, but it won't come out and i don't want to damage anything.

Also, does anyone repair or is there a way to fix the male end of my SONY SRS-D21? or is it now fodder for a landfill?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Are you good with a soldering iron?
http://www.amazon.com/NYS231BG-3-5mm-Stere...k/dp/B0008JFHII
If you live by a Radio Shack, they should have one

Try this:
The broken pin is hollow inside. Use a toothpick or a small disposable object [straightened out paper clip] that will fit inside the pin.
Use a small drop of Gel-type superglue or epoxy [better] on the end of the toothpick and insert it into the broken off plug
Let it dry for awhile and carefully pull it out

Edited by garmanma, 28 February 2010 - 01:08 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

Are you good with a soldering iron?

I've been getting better with one! I have made some repairs with them in the last couple of years, and this
looks like it would be much easier! I didn't even know they sold them this way! This is such vaueable information
you have bestowed upon me!

Do you know where i can get directions on how to do it? and doesn't look like it would be too difficult, but still...

thanks Mark!
:thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Keep in mind you need to be very careful when stripping the cable and soldering
We are talking about super small gauge here

Posted Image

General reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

This might be easier for you:

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

Mark,

thanks! I just completed doing this. I didn't do to bad of a job for my first attempt either. I bought the male plug down at
Radio Shack and it's a gold-plated fancy pants number. It sounds just as good or better than it did before!

I'm very thankful you helped me out. I knew I didn't have to throw these speakers in the landfill!

:thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Glad to hear it
It's always nice saving money
I just spent 8 bucks and now I have two $100.00 track balls
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users