Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1st external HD to buy for backup & recovery?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RAY11

RAY11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'm a student at a collage in photography. Am starting to fill up desktop and laptop with pics.So I plan to buy an external HD for storage,backup and recovery.Have already bought 'Acronis True Image Home 2010' for the program to be used.Now I need to buy the external hard drive.I plan to get a 1TB or 1.5 TB with 3 hookups to insure long term (5 years) usage for when I will soon need to get new computers.Hookups:eSata,firewire 400(1394a),USB 2.0.My desktop computer is a 2004 Compaq Presario SR1230NX with 3 open USB 2's and 2 1394's and a free direct to motherboard serial port.My laptop is a 2006 Toshiba Satellite M115-S3144 with 4 USB 2 ports and a i.Link 1394 port (unknown pin numbers). I've never done this before!
I have been on the internet looking at various sells sights and have seen so much negitive feedback on all the brands that I am led to believe there is no such thing as quality control any more. I see either glowing reports or scathing examples of the drives going down in anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks. It dosen't seem to matter what brand; Seagate,WD,Toshiba,Iomega,Hitachi,Fantom Drive.etc.etc.etc.
Does anyone out there have enough long term experiance (10 to 15 years) to advise me which brand has both good dependability and good return policies??? It's bad enough that I have to figure out if I can put a eSata adapter on my desktop let alone deal with shoddy gear constantly.
Thank you,I will listen to everyones opinion for a week and then come the first weekend of March I will go ahead and proceed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

The best bet...would be to buy an enclosure that is powered and has some cooling capacity...buy a regular hard drive...put the hard drive in the enclosure.

If/when you have problems, it will be easier to troubleshoot which component has the problem.

I really don't understand why some users seem insist on thinking that...a brand name is of significance when dealing with certain computer components. If the specs are the same and capabilities are the same...there's probably no advantage to any manufacturer.

FWIW: Heat is the biggest enemy of a hard drive, IMO. I suspect that's the number one problem with these "external hard drives" which are sold by the various manufacturers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users