Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem after attempted memory upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CShirey

CShirey

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hello,

I have upgraded memory in quite a few desktops but this is my first laptop and it is for a friend. I noticed that his laptop was running on 256MB of memory so I ordered a one gig stick. Unfortunately, I was advised incorrectly and have to return it and get a different one.

My immense problem at this point is that I reinstalled the 256MB into the laptop and it won't even turn on. I do not have the slightest clue as to why and I repeated the process just to be sure with the same results - the laptop isn't working and I am :thumbsup: :flowers:

What do I do now? Please help!!!

Thanks in advance.
cs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

please clarify a little more on the 1 gig stick-did you try to install it? and what made it the wrong one?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 CShirey

CShirey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hello and thank you for your questions. I spoke to someone at Dell and they said that the 6400 would be backwards compatible with the Dell Inspiron 6000 which currently has DDR2 PC2-3200 SODIMM 200 Pin 256MG 400Mhz installed.

Wrong! First of all, I have been told the memory they suggested is too fast and is dual channel which the computer cannot use. Believing I had the correct memory though, I ended up trying to install it upside down :thumbsup: because that was the only way the notch would line up. I figured out that the memory had to be the wrong one, removed it and reinstalled the old memory.

I do not have a laptop yet so I followed the instructions carefully from the Dell Inspiron 6000 manual to install and uninstall the memory and was instructed to remove the hard drive and the optical drive before I installed the memory. Thought that was very odd but did as told. I have repeated the process making sure the old memory is seated properly and when I press the power button it lights up for 5 seconds and shuts down.

I have ordered the correct memory but it won't do me any good if I can't get this laptop working.

Thanks so very much.

cs.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

define upside down, memory only goes in one way-the notch has to line up, but it should go in very easy. It doesnt matter which side of the memory is facing out as long as it goes in and fits-if you have to force it you did it wrong. As far as it goes, DDR2 6400 in theory is backwards compatible with DDR2 3200-it will just run slower. Thats in theory though, the reality is they may have drawn to much power and caused damage to the motherboard. Also, did you ground yourself out when installing the ram? Static can cause as much damage to a laptop as a normal desktop.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 CShirey

CShirey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

Absolutely on grounding myself numerous times.

From what I now understand, the Inspiron 6000 does not use dual channel memory (which this new memory was apparently) so to get it to line up with the notch, I had to install it upside down; I used the word "backwards" incorrectly.
No forcing - went in easily.

It was the chat person from Dell that said the 6400 memory was backwards compatible but the salesperson from Tiger Direct that said that it is not; it is too fast. Please don't let it be a problem with the motherboard. I do not have the $$ to replace a motherboard I have inadvertently damaged. How do I know and what do I do next?

BTW, the new memory on order is Kingston Single Channel Ultra 1024MB DDR2 PC4200 533MHZ SODIMM and it is due here Wednesday . . .

Many thanks!

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:03 AM

I do believe (someone correct me if Im wrong here) all DDR2 can be run in dual channel mode, so thats not your problem. If it went in without forcing it-easily, that is-then it doesnt matter what side of the memory is facing you. It is possible that it is to fast for your motherboard-the guy from dell may just not have the complete picture, because in theory, it is backwards compatible its just supposed to run at a slower speed, however thats not always the case, some motherboards simply won't run it, especially, since the faster ram normally require more voltage, which was likely your problem here. If you didn't fry anything, chances are you just messed up the BIOS, I would recomend carefully taking the laptop apart (if it isnt under warranty, if its still under warranty I recomend RMAing it and letting the DELL people worry about it) and resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for 30 seconds and replacing it, and seeing what that does for you.

picard5.jpg

#7 CShirey

CShirey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. It is definitely not under warranty; no easy way out there!

Will I find the instructions to access the battery in the Dell Inspiron 6000 manual? I know you are not referring to the actual battery pack but the CMOS battery itself.

In your opinion, what are the chances that I fried the motherboard? Just a guesstimate, please. Please.

Thank you for your time.

cs.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

well, right now im gonna say pretty high, but It could just be the BIOS. The only other thing that could be causing issues is if you didnt hook up the optical and hard drive right-however if it was the optical it would boot perfectly, hard drive it would give you a boot error. So, unless this is a unrelated error your either looking at it messed something up in the BIOS setting wise, or you fried something, would be my best guess.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users